Where can one get parts these days?

There are some diodes like that, thin end plates.

Hard potting compounds sometimes expand as they cure, and cure non-uniformly. Imagine potting getting under such a melf and fracturing the skinny pin plating.

Potting is bad news in general.

Reply to
jlarkin

<snip>

"Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I go like this!" "So don't go like that." ;)

I don't recall seeing compounds that don't shrink at least a little. Having one expand might be pretty ugly. OTOH hard potting compounds can do things like crushing trimpots and electrolytics, so IIRC the wisdom is to pot the component side in a thin layer of soft, noncorrosive RTV before putting the epoxy on it.

I've sometimes used conformal coatings, but never potting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's horrible, but necessary in high shock/vibration equipment. We use RTV, as far as I know everyone does for high temperature high shock.

[Actually, it's easier to clean a MELF populated board properly too, though that's a very marginal advantage as there will always be lots of 'ordinary' SM parts too.]
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Do design with melfs?

Melfs might be better for high voltage or pA circuits, because they probably clean better.