Identify these parts?

Hi,

I have 2 parts in a SMPS that I think are PTC thermistors. One is marked KC103P, the other KC221K, the first a blue disk looking just like this:

The second actually looks more like a huge blue tantalum cap, smaller than the first but fatter, not a disc.

If you Google these, you come up with all those companies that can sell you

1000 at a time, but I can't find any data to tell me what they are or an equivalent.

Any help appreciated.,

thanks,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

metal oxide varistor. MOV

Acts like a short circuit to voltage spikes.

--
bz

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

Makes sense now of course. Thanks.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:12:51 +0100, "Gareth Magennis" put finger to keyboard and composed:

This site ...

... suggests that the KC103P is manufactured by Murata Electronics North America.

This site ...

... lists the KC103M as a capacitor made by "S/M".

I suspect the part may be a high voltage 10nF ceramic cap.

It would help to know to which other parts these devices connect.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I think what your looking at is a MOV..

Reply to
amparovalbuena

The PTC thermistors are from Keystone Carbon Corp., I used these some years ago. Not sure they are in business anymore, but the line may have been picked up by one of the components manufacturers.

I did find this :

But that might be new-old stock.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

** That pic looks exactly like a regular NTC thermistor.

Mains voltage rated PTCs are used in the AC supply to PSUs, both transformer and switchmode to provide anti-surge PLUS overload protection.

Impressive to see one doing its job, running stinking hot while allowing only 25mA or so into the faulty PSU.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

OOPs, that is indeed what I was thinking of, was NTC, not PTC, for inrush surge limiting.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You replied to a 17 year old message.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've seen replies to older messages, but in this case, it's only been 7 years. 17 would have the original post in 1998.

And in this case, I seem to have missed the original post, so yes, it's amusing to see the other replies, which clearly came because of the first post.

It's often interesting to look at the original thread, because these old post resurrectors often don't. They think they have something to add, yet the original thread often covers the whole thing.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

You're right. I had seen a 16 year old message replied to on another group a few minutes earlier, and wasn't paying close attention.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell