Where can I buy a large analogue meter?

The coal trains aren't popular. There still are some surface level crossings where you can wait forever for the train to pass.

Just about...

This one is paved in the downtown area but east of town it's gravel but fairly smooth.

Amtrak has been on life support for a long time. I briefly worked for Penn Central when they were going under. You had to have money in your account before the bank would cash your paycheck. Amtrak took them over with all the problems. The tracks were a mess as was the rolling stock. There were a number of the '50s streamliner engines that were scrapped because nobody wanted to work on them.

Amtrak did eventually get the tracks back in shape but only on the eastern corridor.

The US would rather cut its nose off to spite its face.

Reply to
rbowman

Nonsense.

Actually, virtualization capabilities were pioneered on the Opteron processors with SVM (Secure Virtual Machine) circa 2004. It was several years later before intel introduced the equivalent VT-X support (right after Intel adopted AMD's 64-bit extensions). First generation SVM still relied on paravirtualized memory management, but the second generation added nested page table support. Intel copied that as well with EPT.

VT-D is a completely separate thing (I/O virtualization rather than CPU virtualization), and it relies on specialized PCI hardware that can be configured to provide multiple virtual devices (Virtual Functions in the nomenclature). Not something you'll find on a desktop box generally (although NVME cards and many network cards support SR-IOV).

At SGI we helped pioneer hypervisor development with a project called Crucible - we ran Windows and Linux on a two-processor HP Kayak simultaneously, in 1998.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I've used rufus to create bootable USB sticks for Linux distros. Same rufus?

It's not great. They've been improving it supposedly.

Reply to
rbowman

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:40:01 -0600) it happened rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Surface mount is easy on those boards with the round isles. I have reading glasses from the local drugstore and for the small SMDs I put 2 reading glasses on top of each other. Strength adds up. You do need to be a bit closer to what you are doing then. So far no problems. Have a small fan blow the smoke away from you..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Apr 2022 10:45:32 -0600) it happened rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Impressive, but not very portable.

frequency counter in RS232 connector:

Jan Panteltje

I have noticed that Ebay has everything. If you find the correct name for searching.

Then there are Geebuying, Gearbest,

Aliexpress, Dealextreme and so on.

Reply to
LM

And the 'brain'

Or the dick.

Reply to
Jock

You are the sort of person with zero humility. I have no understanding of the fact that your opinion is not worth diddly in this universe. Whatever, this group is full of unthinking trolls. One more can't hurt.

BTW, you appear to have given up on your quest for a large multimeter. I guess it's more important to rail about flags?

Reply to
Ricky

It is one thing to be ignorant. It is another to publicly declare your ignorance for all to see.

It doesn't take much effort at all for you to do a little research and find that wirewrap is actually a highly reliable technique if done according to the guidelines.

Reply to
Ricky

True, but even today's Windows is not suited to anything truly mission critical, like a ships weapon systems. A ships self-defense system (defending against Mach 0.8 cruise missiles like the Neptunes recently used to sink the Moskva in the Black Sea) is instructive: From appearance (at the horizon about 20 miles away) to impact is about 20 seconds. Use them wisely.

And by the way, if the self-defense missile isn't moving on the launch rails in maybe 5 seconds, intercept becomes impossible, so pray that the CIWS succeeds.

Nor does Microsoft claim otherwise, even today.

It's also too late. All the Navy folk and consultants who sold IT-21 to the Brass suffered severe career damage, many succumbing to wounds received in The Yorktown Incident. And the survivors were badly scalded.

It will take more decades than Windows will last for the Navy to get over its Windows aversion.

And Linux does work, so there is little pressure.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

How complicated, mine are just USB cams, plug straight into the PC and it records.

Uh ok. I'm a human not a geek, you've just posted greek. I use a GUI.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Isn't forever more like 30 seconds? No big deal.

Why?

That last sentence doesn't make sense. I can';t give you ten dollars unless you already have another ten dollars?

The US is pathetic, it's scared of Russia.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not nonsense, well known problem. Same program running on Intels and AMDs, the AMDs get sluggish. See LHC@Home for an example.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would think so, it's quite versatile.

The main problem is if it's on it breaks the VT-x.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Surely reading glasses are not the same as magnifying glasses?

It's more the movement of the hands rather than the eyesight that's the limitation I find.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have plenty of humour, I laugh at Americans every day.

Already got one.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Touching things cannot be as good as welded together things.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I couldn't crash Windows 11 if I tried.

Only if you can understand it, and you need really thick glasses and a weird haircut to do so.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not with our 5 mile long iron ore driverless trains.

Longest and heaviest in the entire world.

Still no big deal, but a bit of a nuisance.

More rabid rightists than most.

Reply to
Jock

What's wrong with a flag. I'm not a rightist by any means, but I have no problem with someone flying the flag... well, depending on the flag. When someone flies a Confederate flag, I have to wonder why. It's like identifying with the team that lost a baseball game in 1865.

Reply to
Ricky