When We Were Still Free

Didn't the nanny state first proclaim that plastic bags were better for the environment? Claiming saving trees _and_ decaying?

Newspaper ...Jim Thompson

Some countries actually make bags from old (unsold) newspapers. A cottage industry, which works well. Basically they buy unsold newspapers from the printing shop, which creates good, bio-degradable bags.

Reply to
PeterD

Trivia: Did you know that the inks used for newspapers renders them fairly sterile, suitable for temporary wrapping of wounds, splinting broken bones, etc. ...Jim Thompson

Probably.

There are types of plastic that biodegrade, but since they're not in widespread usage I can only assume that they must cost more than what is used.

There's definitely growing regulations/restrictions on the use of plastic bags -- parts of California already ban them, and other states require they be taxed or that retailers must recycle them. Apparently the U.S. is still more liberal than much of the rest of the world in this regard; China banned free plastic shopping bags (the ultra-thin ones) in 2008.

I'd have to admit to being enough of a weenie to giving some of these ideas serious thought. I wish I didn't have to, but so many people do litter and since it's pretty much impossible to enforce them not doing so, maybe controlling the source does merit consideration.

Blank or actual (printed on) recycled papers?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Printed-on! Check out old photos of meat and fish markets. ...Jim Thompson

younger generation.

Harry Nilsson!

Reply to
Werner

patterns

the younger generation.

2004.html

Are you sure that you don't mean Three Dog Night?

Reply to
josephkk

Unless of course it's communist Chinese ink. They use carbon black from waste engine oil to darken the ink. I found that out when I bought a whole bunch of budget reprinted books. You could hardly read the things because of the stench. Seriously. The stuff is highly carcinogenic.

mike

Reply to
m II