political correctness at UVM

In order to study at UVM you have to satisfy the diveristy requirment (classes that address racism etc). All good and well, I suppose. Then I looked a bit deeper, and was appalled

In the section regarding transfer credits that fulfill the diversity requirement, it says the course must

"... include content that fosters self reflection regarding one's own prejudices in a manner that is observable by the instructor."

It's reminiscent of enforced self-criticism in the former Soviet Union and Maoist China.

How would a student entering UVM fight politically correct brainwashing? If you were to protest it outright, you would immediately get branded as a racist.

I doubt they would even tolerate someone acting the detached devil's advocate, as in a structured debate.

However, defending the inviolability of one's own mind, and not having it manipulated, is not the same thing as racism. I might want to defend a position that I don't even believe in, for that matter. There's no consciousness of ambiguity, irony, or objectivity when it comes to issues of political correctness.

What's the antidote?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Go overboard and parody it. You'll have fun, they won't get it, and everybody will be happy.

Part of why you go to college is to learn how to manipulate the professors, with minumum energy expended.

John

A UVM oxymoron: "...excellence in liberal education..." ...Jim Thompson

What do you want from those who bring you the communists, Bernie Sanders and Leaky Leahy? Not all the loose nuts rolled all the way to California. Quite a few got trapped up against Lake Champlain.

Reply to
krw

Hey Jim, you already know this but I'm going to say it anyway. "Liberal" education has nothing to do with current politics, or any sort of politics. Here's a quote that expresses what liberal education means pretty well: "In classical antiquity, the liberal arts denoted the education proper to a free man (Latin: liberus, "free")" (from Wikipedia). My complaint is _not_ that UVM is too liberal (in the sense used in American politics), but that it is not liberal enough, in the true meaning of the word liberal: that is, free. As in intellectual freedom. You see the word liberal and it's like somebody hit your knee with a rubber hammer.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Exactly. Leftist is the enemy of liberal.

John

It's not supposed to, but unfortunately it does.

Wish it 'twere so. In virtually _every_ college in the US today, (including, unfortunately, my alma mater MIT), "education" is leftist brain-washing. Look around you. Which speakers get shouted down??

Nope. I, personally, am as "liberal" as they come. Do what you want, I could care less. Get in my face, get yours blown away. ...Jim Thompson

It doesn't matter which turn signal is doing the blinking. I complained about something that's associated with "liberalism," and then everybody jumped on the us-versus-them bandwagon. What's the point of trying to open a discussion about something meaningful when it just degenerates into the same old bashing we see every day here on the newsgroups and public discourse in general? It's tiresome. And there's no mental stimulation in it.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Okay, Jim.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Go to UVM, you'll fit right in, and you'll get the "education" you deserve :-) ...Jim Thompson

Yet you continue to fan the flames, then whine about it. A typical leftist move.

Reply to
krw

It's the *only* definition that makes sense when talking about UVM. There is nothing classically liberal about the whole state.

Reply to
krw

You need to get off the corn cob...

--

> From: "krw att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
> Subject: Re: political correctness at UVM
> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:44:10 -0500

Reply to
John Doe

Yep, a DimBulb groupie. The scat fixation "fits" too.

Reply to
krw

en =A0I

If

of

go find yourself another university. I've known several folks that went part time there, then went full time and UVM would not accept their own courses for credit transfer. al

Reply to
mickgeyver