What to do with this silly assignment?

Buck Owens: Act Naturally

[ with Ringo Starr ] They're gonna put me in the movies they're gonna make a big star out of me We'll make a film about a man who's sad and lonely and all I gotta do is act naturally Well I'll bet you I'm a gonna be a big star might win an Oscar you can never tell Movies are gonna make me a big star cause I can play the part so well Well I hope you'll come to see me in the movies then I know that you will plainly see The biggest fool that's ever hit the big time and all I gotta do is act naturally We'll make a scene about a man that's sad and lonely And begging down upon his bended knee I'll play the part that I won't need rehearsing all I have to do is act naturally Well I bet you I'm a gonna be a big star... Two three four all we have to do is act naturally
Michael A. Terrell

"If one exists" is the main challenge here. While I might appear to be complaining, I actually have it pretty good, and work with very great people in a very professional environment.

Agreed. I have begun to formulate a position about this: "I am very serious about working safely, but I am not interested in making safety my job."

The situation is a little different. The government labs had been exempted for many years from OSHA rules. Now they aren't. So we have a huge backlog of equipment that was procured or custom built which is not NRTL certified, and must either be, or get internally certified.

They had resisted doing anything about this until higher levels of the government ordered them to deal with it.

All of the labs have approached the problem in different ways. LLNL harnessed a group of technologists who seemed willing and able to devote

1/2 time to this. The other branch of my lab dedicated two technologists full time for about a year. My branch is opting to push it onto center directors, because the site director has chosen not to devote any new resources to it. This after they had clearly been informed that there were 2000 pieces of equipment, with approximately an hour of time needed per item.

Since my job classification is at the bottom of the stream where the sh*t rolls, we are the ones that get to deal with it. The only exception is my boss has literally sidestepped the plan (with a wink-wink from the center director) and is trying to work with me to find a more efficient solution, based on his authority to disburse department funds as he sees fit. After all, we are going to pay for it anyway if I do it. So might as well seek the most economical solution.

Fortunately there have been no incidents with existing equipment.

However, when I did a single lab pilot project to determine statistics on how long it would take to inspect items and how many might have issues, the results were not great. I failed about 25% of very old COTS equipment which typically had problems like degraded power cords or loosened internal ground wires. Worse, almost 50% of the custom equipment that had been built before I came failed.

In my department there is a large amount of 208VAC and some 480VAC equipment built near the time when I started in 1999 that was built by a couple of guys who were very good at producing results, but very clueless about any sort of electrical standards. They at least had a modicum of best practices understanding, and grounded almost everything.

But the tape heaters and other sorts of heaters are where things get messy. There are many uncovered junctions (insulated, but not armored) all over the place. I am rather worried that a great deal of re-work is going to be needed to put these connections in junction boxes, or else create lengthy technical work documents requiring formal review and approval processes to document auxiliary grounding schemes, etc.

Well if I go along with all this at least I am not in a position where my efforts are not in demand. Actually, that's the case even if I don't go along with it.

Thanks for the comments.

Good day!

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

You and I think alike! I am now aggressively re-evaluating my time-management strategies to accomplish just this sort of thing, for the same reason--to maintain my sanity.

It seems that creative people can literally sink into depression and not be able to function unless they are creating. Our modern management ideologies I doubt have even a clue about this.

We have a guy who has done a lot of work on just this subject, I call it "meta-knowledge" ie., how to manage people to foster revolutionary innovation by understanding a great deal about the creative process and the human brain, psychology, etc.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

But at the end of the day, the question is going to be "Got it done yet? "

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Hey, I like your way of thinking! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

in 25

en in

Causing massive power outage in California, due to poor "training". Get back there to train them.

Reply to
linnix

Have you kept the boss informed as to the status of your workload and the impact that these assignments have on delivery dates?

If so, its not your problem. In fact, it increases your value to the company (you are in the critical path of more projects).

If not, you could be screwed. Keep the boss up to date and document your inputs. Not that this will help much. If it comes you a confrontation of "you said, he said" its a losing proposition to fight management.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
                                -- George Carlin
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I see. Yes, big labs don't have the same sort of market pressures as businesses--you argue for your budget, and then you have to spend all of it or you won't get as much next year. IBM Research was like that back in the day too. You have to optimize over a different set of criteria.

At IBM, before about 2001, my main annual deliverable was a writeup, due around Hallowe'en, which justified my existence by summarizing what I did that year and why it was important. Its official name (believe it or not) was a 'brag sheet'. We RSMs were ranked from 1 to 2000 (or however many RSMs there were at the time), and it was done on a three-year cycle, so you didn't get your head kicked in if you were working on something with a lead time longer than a year, or if the latest gizmo didn't work. That encouraged innovation and risk taking--you could try something wild, and if if failed, do something safer next year. (A lot of wild things wound up working.)

Of course it didn't make perfect sense to rank physicists, MEs, and computer scientists in the same sequence. Probably no two of us made exactly the same amount of money, though, so that's implicitly a unilinear ranking scale anyway, and they at least tried to make it less of a random number generator than it would have been otherwise.

I switched departments in 2001, after being told that the computer science department, where I then was, wouldn't be doing any more hardware projects--"How are the mighty fallen." That's when I went into the packaging department and did antenna coupled MIM tunnel junctions for on-chip optical interconnection. (A bit of a weird thing to be doing in a packaging group, but never mind.) That was about when they started getting rid of all the technicians, because the fully-burdened cost of a technician and a young Ph.D. weren't that different. Thus we all started doing our own technician stuff, which was very inefficient--it's hard to keep up momentum when you've got too many balls in the air, and having a string of degrees doesn't necessarily mean that you're good with your hands.

In the new department, everything was done on a one-year rating cycle called PBC. It might as well have been PHB, it was such a nasty contrast to the old ranking system--you could go from golden boy to bum in a year, just because your project didn't produce results during the summer. At that point everybody was watching his back rather than concentrating on the work, which eventually became miserable.

I had a great time at IBM Watson, except right at the end, and I'll always be grateful for the opportunity, but I'm much happier out on my own. I probably wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't worked there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

George Herold wrote: [some stuff]

I find it interesting that in my newsreader's "messages" window, with the indentation inherent to threading, the subject line says, "Re: What to do with this silly ass"

;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yes. But discretely inquiring among friends about other jobs may not hurt.

Consider going to work for a company that's significantly smaller, or that's known to be good to work for -- smaller companies either keep their eyes on the ball or they die; departments of big corporations have the luxury of spinning company wealth away with unproductive behaviors, at least until they're noticed.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

That's an image I don't need.

Lots of wind, which I like. We've had more rain in the past few days actually.

Haboob could be Osama's brother.

The cleanup after those must be worse than a hurricane cleanup for most people (excepting people who had trees fall on their houses and such).

You know, those mini tornados called Dust Devils are caused by genie's stirring the wind. Haboob said so. Or maybe it was Skybuck.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't think so. AFAICT only Yuma in Arizona was involved. I'd ask my wife but today is "spa" day ;-) I can remote access my office PC's just fine, so I know we have power in Ahwatukee. ...Jim Thompson

--
                  [On the Road, in New York]

Um, I've never been to California.

Michael A. Terrell

On that covers an area from San Diego, Ca. to Arizona is pretty massive failure.

Michael A. Terrell

".

ake in 25

happen in

That's for JT to return to AZ to train them. It was caused by one single AZ employee, probably with little educations. Perhaps they need chip designers with logical thinking to man the system.

Reply to
linnix

25

in

Looks like it mostly took down SoCal... so no big deal...

Wait until the AZ law comes into play that says APS can only sell _excess_ power to Californica ;-)

Sounds to me like "linnix" is a Californica fairy. ...Jim Thompson

--
                  [On the Road, in New York]

".

ake in 25

happen in

_

That would be fine, if we know that we can't depend on AZ. The connection to AZ is as much liabilities as benefits.

Reply to
linnix

in 25

happen in

We (AZ) also own water rights to the Colorado River... Californica suckers ;-) ...Jim Thompson

--
                  [On the Road, in New York]

ing".

hquake in 25

ng happen in

".

.

ess_

s ;-)

We are all jointed at the hip. Hurting CA will end up hurting AZ as well. You don't want us all moving to AZ, do you? Actually, i might move to Vegas, NV and start complainting to our King Harry.

Reply to
linnix

earthquake in 25

happen in

OK. Just knock off the BS. AZ DOES have all those rights, and if CA gets snotty, you'll lose. Although I certainly think selling electricity to CA at

25 cents per kWh would be good for AZ. Joergy porgy would like that ;-) ...Jim Thompson
--
                  [On the Road, in New York]