What is this?

We believe these were used in military aircraft but have no detailed specs. Made by Rock Island Arsenal and distributed by Lockheed Martin. The NSN number is 6650-01-170-8640 and we have found that the government originally paid $5000-$7000 each for these units. The Rock Island part number is 13074135. This unit appears to consist of a 1" diameter imaging sensor, a vidicon tube, a Minco heater (that surrounds half of the unit, and various wires for connection. The entire unit is 4 3/8" long and has a diameter of 1 5/8". The mounting flange is 2-1/4" x 1-7/8". Next to the sensor are 3 wires (one red, two black) that extend 1-1/4" long). From the middle of the unit there are 5 wires (two blue, one white, one green, and one red) that extend

8" long. On the back of the unit there are 12 wires that group into a 12 pin connector. These appear to be unused but have no idea what their actual usage entailed.
Reply to
Wanderer

Night vision?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Did older type night vision use sensors that need to be heated instead of cooled?

Reply to
Wanderer

My guess is it's a vidicon that's intended to be bolted onto an image intensifier, or just a camera lens - if whatever it was bolted to needed cooling that may explain the heater, or it could just be for anti-condensation.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

That is a nomenclature.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

intensifier, or just a camera

or it could just be

It gets pretty cold at fighter-jet altitudes.. -50°C is pretty normal, but I'm guessing it's part of an old anti-missile countermeasure system. Just a WAG...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

And the sad part is that you can buy a color USB camera, with LED illumination, for about $6 these days.

John

intensifier, or just a camera

heater, or it could just be

My first thought was also something to be used in military aircraft, but wouldn't something for say, detecting missile launches operate in the infrared? I don't think one would want to have a heater wrapped around it. My WAG is that it is for the visual wavelengths and that it might be for something like star tracking for celestial navigation/inertial guidance.

Reply to
Bitrex

Like it says in the first sentence! I better improve my reading comprehension skills...

Reply to
Bitrex

Hello. Recently I have seen this topic about that "tube". I did some research. It turned out this tube is an EO-MUX aka electro optical multiplexer. It has a n 1xN infrared sensitive diode array inside[where N is a number somewhere b etween 200 and 400 maybe?]. When a mirror scans a row of the field, this th ingy detects the IR light. After that they filter it with analog electronic s then put it on the screen. Basically the military used these "bad boys" o n Apache helicopters they called it the "PNVS"[Pilot Night Vision] system. It needs an infrared illuminator too. If you think about that, nowadays an USB camera can do this too. There is no that type of image intensifier tube in this thing like a nightvision have. Also sorry for my english, its not my first language.

Reply to
habelervin

It's 30yo antiquated garbage from the TADS/PNVS of the AH-64 "advanced attack" helicopter.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred