What sucks about flux

Both. I don't perceive it to be - and I don't think it is either.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Frithiof Andreas,

Hey, nothing against Citroen. My 2CV was a good car. But it didn't have a battery most of the time so I guess it already was RoHS compliant.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

But at least you had a 'first' with a Dauphine. It was one of the first cars made where (on most panels) the paint coat was thicker than the steel.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Some "urchins" in Cambridge picked mine up and put it between two trees on the sidewalk :-(

...Jim Thompson

It did pretty well in Arizona but, of course, very little rain to cause rust ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Agreed! My sister is Cincinnati had one. What a piece of crap!

...Jim Thompson

I didn't realise they were meant to be cars. Was yours the original

400cc or one of the big 600cc jobs? And how long did you have it before the carburetter caught fire?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I did something similar with my '70 Gremlin[*]. I'd push against the door frame then jump in and pop the clutch.

[*] THE most appropriately named car in history.

The Gremlin had a Ford electrical system in it, IIRC (Auburn clutch too). It had an electronic voltage regulator, which turned into a real mess when the alternator shorted out (sheared brushes).

--
  Keith
Reply to

bwahahahah

I bought a Citroen C3 TDi myself - and it is a really nice little car too.

The bad press from a few spontaneous combustion event caused the car dealers to come up with some really good deals. And it's insured, my garage is insured, we do not leave dog alone in it and they proably fixed it by now anyway, e.t.c. There is always *something* to add spice to a French car ;-)

You do not like the car - you remember the happiness of your youth ;-)

The only good things about the 2CV was that it could drive on the most abysmal roads - and stay there and if it should tip over, two persons could probably push it up again.

But above 50 km/h ..... featuring thicker paint than metal and a tendency to rust, things already would be dicy for the occupants; it's wind sensitive, to change the points, one had to dismantle the front, take the cooler and the fan off - using a special tool - a real union job!

The spark plugs were on the bottom of the engine too - to get the benefit of the salt so liberally spred on the roads here in the winter. And the heating never worked.

But damn cheap to run. And one could get girlies into it too.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

My Dauphine had a crank as well, but I was always afraid I'd break a thumb, so I always resorted to the "running start" ;-)

I went for 6 weeks like that waiting for batteries to go on-sale at Sears ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

No, the Dauphine was pure luxury compared to the 2CV. They look like this:

Did the push trick a few times but the 2CV all had a crank, even the last ones built in 1990. Best of all this old engine in there got me around 50mpg (on swill...) despite the fact that the engine design was from around WW2, possibly a little before. Newer ones had a larger engine and 23 horses instead of my 16.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Paul,

Mine was the 16 horses 400cc. Never caught fire but I did a meticulous restoration on the carb. Copper packings, brass bushings and all, sawed and polished by hand. It could idle like a Harley, kathumpah..kathumpah..

The scrap dealer was mighty impressed when I had to retire it because it rusted out at 16 years of age. So impressed that I got money for it because this engine went to a collector in Norway.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Frithiof Andreas,

I wouldn't even know what that is, there are no French cars in the US anymore. Peugeot was the last to throw in the towel but their US version of the 505 was a real starship. Lots of dazzling lights and all.

Nah, just training. I could do the points in under 30 minutes. Mine even had the alternator on that shaft as well.

But: No distributor! Meaning a wrong turn on the crank could send a kaboom and black soot out the exhaust. Better wait until nobody is behind the car.

Yes....

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Now try getting the kids today to believe a story like that !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No shit? ;-)

-- Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That was 43 years ago. Probably couldn't do that now. Phoenix is no longer semi-rural. Having a car stall in traffic now could be deadly.

...Jim Thompson

I bought mine at Luby Chevrolet in Boston in June of 1961. By June of

1962, when I graduated, it already had a few small rust spots.

I drove it to Arizona where the extreme heat and dryness turned the brown rust to a gray color, and corrosion stopped completely ;-)

...Jim Thompson

No, rather; "Ah, Shit!"

--
  Keith
Reply to

Hello Jim,

Thumb over the handle and not under is extremely important. These things could backfire badly.

Mine had 6V and those never went on sale :-(

I also had two trucker sized compressor horns in the car. In some areas of Europe the horn is the most important part of a car and the turn signal is the least used. Of course, if I accidentally tapped the horn while idle the engine would stall.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Yeah, I could do that with my Sprite, but likely it was easier to jump in. You could also drive it any distance with no clutch, which it turns out you had to do fairly often... kill the engine, shift to first, hit the starter, heel-and-toe after that. Not synchromesh in first made it more challenging.

John