~What is the maximum clock rate given the state of today's technology?

Hi:

What is the maximum physically-possible clock rate [measured in Hz] of a 1-bit-per-cycle, single-core, purely-serial processor?

Thank a bunch,

Green Xenon~

Reply to
GreenXenon

1.21GHz per flux capacitor available.
Reply to
Joel Koltner

It's more than that....

Reply to
TTman

An African or European flux capacitor?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

.

Is that an unladen flux capacitor?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

TTman expounded in news:imin3n$i6v$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Faster in a DeLorean.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

George Herold expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@34g2000pru.googlegro ups.com:

What's your favourite colour?

Warren.

Reply to
Warren

One googlehertz...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

The OP should have asked what the hell the question means, it's so wierdly phrased. Unless there's a context he didn't mention because he didn't understand that it mattered.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

.

Would an optical processor be able to run safely at a significantly higher-frequency than an electronic processor?

Lets say the optical CPU uses 400-nm-wavelength lasers in place of electronic signals, what is the max clock rate that can be performed by this theoretical CPU without experiencing any physical damage?

Reply to
GreenXenon

You should be able to do a lot better than 1 Hz/W.

Reply to
krw

Veerrrryyyy tiny junctions -- lots and lots of leakage current? :-)

Calls for a very big heat sink, though.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No. You'll put your eye out.

Reply to
krw

I dunno about that, but I _do_ know that since it's electronics, it has to be a rosin flux capacitor and not acid.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Bleu.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We're all taking the mickey, but its not that bad a question IMHO.

It's the sort of thing that crosses my mind when I see "researchers demonstrate 1600GHz transistor". There is a huge gap between this and actual practical - thermally limited - designs.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

We are using 10GBase channels on a regular basis. It takes some wild processing to move that much data around, let alone handle several channels of it..

They are finally going to build a practical optical computer... maybe. Whoever those "they people" are.

At least that is closer than a fusion reactor. Forever ten years off.

Reply to
Mark Datter

Such press releases usually quote fT, i.e. the frequency when the current gain drops to 1, not very usable for making logic functions at such frequencies :-). As a common base amplifier, some usable power gain might still be available.

Reply to
upsidedown

--
The OP is nothing more than a troll who likes to trap the unwary by
asking technical-sounding but nonsensical questions.

I thought it was homework.