Re: what is maximum delay

Op Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:28:50 +0200 schreef scilent-project :

what is maximum delay that is possible to achieve from parallel port > application ? > I want to inetrface ADC which have 5 channels with much higher data > rates

Use USB, Firewire or maybe Ethernet.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

scilent-project

Infinity, I should think.

while (1) ;

Can produce an infinite delay in any applictions.

Higher than what?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Hey!! Let's watch
                                  at               the' ELEVATOR go UP and

This makes no sense, as Grant has pointed out. Do you mean *minimum* delay? Are you trying to figure out maximum data rate for a parallel port? If so, it depends on a few things, like how it's strobed. If you're outputting data using the normal printer port strobe system, a max of around 1Mbyte/sec is ballpark - but this depends on a lot of other things.

I think you need to rephrase your question, and provide a bit more detail as to what you're trying to do.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Ok.First I appologize for my bad usage of language. Yes it is minimum delay and maximum transfer rate can be handled.

I want to monitor 5 data channels coming from 5 different sensors in real time. I have no options except parallel port with c++. Can i really materialize this without toasting the port ?

Steve at fivetrees wrote:

Reply to
scilent-project

The maximum transfer rate for a parallel port is 1.3MHz (but of course there are exceptions

Now assume that you want to multiplex 5 sensors each 8 bits wide into a single channel and you somehow synchronize them so you know which channel is coming in. Assume that synchronizing has no overheads. For this channel you can read at a data rate of 1.3MHz or 770nS per sample. But you might have to wait 4 cycles until the sensor you want is multiplexed so the delay could be up to 3uS. The data rate per sensor would be a fifth of the transfer rate at

260kB/S.

Hope that helps with the homework, Peter

Reply to
Peter