Want to learn and use AT89C4051. Any suggestions for a beginner?

I have been a PIC microcontroller user, but I have to use AT89C4051 for a new project. I hope someone here could give me suggestions about how to start quickly and work some simple tasks. Some of the major questions are following:

  1. what equipment should I get, emulator, debuger, or programmer?

  1. If there are multiple choices, which one is more user friendly and easy to use?

  2. How about price? Freeware would be nice.

  1. please suggest some quick references

  2. are the applications notes or ready code for common tasks available online?

  1. My first task is to make a serial communication board with this chip. Any suggestions on this subject?

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

George

Reply to
for_idea

This is part of the enormous, popular 8051 family. There are several good books about the 8051; I recommend the one by Ayala. If you Google for 8051 and 8052 you'll find an enormous amount of material.

Reply to
mc

Application Notes: Analog-to-Digital Conversion Utilizing the AT89CX051 MCU (6 pages, updated

12/97) This Application Note describes how to build a low cost A/D converter with the Atmel 20-Pin Microcontrollers. EMC Improvement Guidelines (17 pages, updated 8/03)

More Application Notes Tools & Software: Code Examples: C51 SPI Code Examples C51 Timer0 Code Examples C51 Timer1 Code Examples C51 Timer2 Code Examples C51 UART Code Examples Reference: C51 Architecture Reference Utilities Hardware Interface Connection Examples for C51 MCU Software Files: C51 Include Files for IAR, Keil, Raisonance, Tasking & SDCC Compilers Other Documents: Device Programmers for 80C51 Devices (Other, updated 10/04) This Excel spreadsheet provide summary information on device programmers supporting Atmel 80C51 microcontrollers Emulators for 80C51 Devices (Other, updated 11/03) This Excel spreadsheet provide summary information on emulation support for Atmel 80C51 microcontrollers

Reply to
Eeyore

Also

Intel has a pdf version of the invaluable '51 Family User's Manual too

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Iguanalabs is closing out their PG302 programmer for 49$. I've used one for several years and been very happy with it, and just bought a spare, it comes with a decent tutorials disk and all the tools you need to get going, programmer, compiler, editor, emulator, bin/hex and hex/bin converters and some good sample code. It handles c2051, c4051, some AVR and with adapters, 8751, Philips derivatives, etc. The unit has a zif socket to make things easy. I'd rccomend the 2051 at first, its much easier then having to wire a eprom and latch to a 8051.

www.http://www.iguanalabs.com/ordrprts.htm

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

Thank you all for the responses. I'm reading your suggestions. They are all quite valuable for me to digest. Answers to my previous email are still warmly welcome.

Reply to
for_idea

Don't use a 8052 variant, it is a very outdated architecture. Look for MSP430 from TI instead. On

you'll find plenty of usefull tools and development boards in the 'development boards' section.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks. However, I got a functional module board and a AT89C4051 is on it. I need to use the board, otherwise, I have rewire whole circuit which could be painful work.

George

Nico Coesel wrote:

Reply to
for_idea

Thank you Steve! The PG302 works very well!

All -- I also have to program an ATMEL AT89S51. Does anyone know what a good programmer would be for that one? I appears to me that the PG302 can only do the ATMEL AT89C51.

Any comments are very much appreciated!

-Oliver

P.S.: By the way, maybe for general interest: Using the PG302 on a Pentium II with WinXP (older version, don't know ver#) in conjunction with a Cybernetic Microsystems assembler CYS8051 led to a lot a trouble. The PG302 could not find the COM1 port or finished improperly and many other issues. However, using the TASM assembler works like a charm!! I had already many sleepless nights since I wanted to simply enjoy the great work flow!

snipped-for-privacy@uakr> Iguanalabs is closing out their PG302 programmer for 49$. I've used

Reply to
greentom