hello i wish to learn elecectronics any help

Hello all - first of all please excuse my stupidity i wish to learn electroncs i am in possestion of a basic knowledge which is basic electronics physics syllabus but i wish to learn it further posasibly from ground up till i can understand circuits well and possible design circuits not only build them again excuse my no prior knowledge approach regards :)

Reply to
Bernard Borg

The internet has tons of "tutorials" on the subject, good and bad. I would suggest that you checkout the local community colleges for classes. Some books that I can recommend are "Basic Electronics Theory" by Delton T. Horn. And "Tab Electronics Guide to Understanding Electricity and Electronics" by Tab Electronics.

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Regards for your approach to school :_) i wish i have time for another school i am at university reading for a degree into communications and my interest in electronics is rather a hobbiest approach not carrer wise :) thank you peterken

Reply to
Bernard Borg

There are correspondence courses you can take in electronics. You can take just the basics, or more advanced courses. I would suggest at least the basics. Once you have a good understanding of the basics, everything else comes pretty easy.

There is also a program (while it is not a tutorial), would help you with electronics. One of the things it does, it will compute all the component values of a circuit (to match your needs), and then display all the formulas that it used. Plus a lot of other usful things, for electronics. Check it out at

A very good book to have is "Practical Electronics For Inventors" by Paul Scherz. It does a very good job of explaining electronic components, circuits and theory. Hope this helps, Brian

Reply to
Brian

ever tried school ?

Reply to
peterken

Understanding Basic Electronics, publishe d by the ARRL gets my vote!

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to

Everyone always says this, but my experience at a community college was awful. I spent $500 on a C++ course and got about $100 worth. There were only 3 students in the class (myself included) who had any clue about anything whatsoever. The rest held us back from going very far into the subject.

The fact that they used a buggy freeware compiler was no help either.

I think it is likely to be better, for anyone who wants to take single courses, to take them at a four-year school.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Reply to
Bernard Borg

If you are doing communications, you will be with the EE people during your 1st year at least, if not 2nd as well. (correct me if I am wrong here, or is it Communication Systems). This will give you a lot of knowledge in Electronics. Also computer systems engineering share a lot of the courses of EE.

Regarding books, there is another one which many people say is really good:

The Art of Electronics Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill

If you want a book for transistor circuits, in my opinion there is none better than

Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Boylestad and Nashelsky. I am not sure which is the current edition, I have the 8th. This is a very very very good book.

Reply to
Andy

inet tutorials. The library should have the most basic stuff if you really need "Fun With Electricity", but I think the ARRL handbooks at the library cover the basics well enough.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

For a non-English speaker, his grammar is excellent. I hope you noticed that his text is full of clues that English is not his native language. He has an "accent," but it doesn't interfere with his meaning.

Having a bad day? Your above crack about english, plus your crack about school, sounds to me like the onset of flamer-hood.

:)

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer snipped-for-privacy@chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph206-543-6195 http//staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/

Reply to
William J. Beaty

Don't give up on the internet. One excellent tutorial website is

NCSU: Electronics ECE-480

Another: Satcure

I have a few links to similar sites:

ELECTRONICS HOBBYIST: EDUCATION

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty

Research Engineer UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 snipped-for-privacy@chem.washington.edu Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph:206-543-6195 fax:206-685-8665

Reply to
William J. Beaty

Well, it depends on how much you want to know about electronics. For analog circuit, you might start with the book:

"Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra/Smith

For digital ciruit, you might start with some basic logic gates like AND, OR, XOR, and do "Karnaugh Map" for simplication. Any book on Digital Logic Design should conver that.

The other way is: you could start browse the web to check which topic you are interested in. You can start with

That might not be helpful as textbooks. But at least, you will know the major basic topics on electronics.

Reply to
oookhc

Interesting: Mr. Bork's ISP is Island of Malta.

If I wrote in a foreign language flawlessly, then I would feel justified in correcting others' English grammar. But I only write really crappy Spanish (after many classes in high school.) If I was going to criticize someone's English, well, let them first hear how well I can do in their native language, or even *any* foreign language.

Also, I suspect that "at university" is a British term, or perhaps is merely Euro-english. I've heard it used before. It may be similar to the standard British term "in hospital", versus the USA "in a hospital."

Reply to
William J. Beaty