Voltage multiplier

Turn your soldering iron to as high as it will go and tin one edge of the copper you want to remove. Keep the iron on this edge until you can get an exacto knife to lift the copper edge. Keeping the iron ahead of the peeled copper, proceed to heat the copper ahead of the peel (the glue holding the copper to the board is heat-resistant, not heat-proof) and remove all the copper you need to remove.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Seems odd, why would save open a new window? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

One click opens the ftp link? My version says 7.0. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

If I double click I get a new tab that has the following line.

The image ?file:///C:/Users/Mikek/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/15MVZFDV/HV_schematic%5B1%5D.JPG? cannot be displayed because it contains errors. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It will come from a dc/dc converter (our customer furnishes 24 volt power) that's limited, but it would reset the entire board if that cratered. But then, who cares? I do need a pulldown on the gate, for when the FPGA is deconfigured. The FPGA drive is expected to be very reliable. I might even ramp up the duty cycle at startup, or tweak the duty cycle depending on the output voltage selection. It's just code!

I could add a polyfuse, but I think the necessity is small.

I cut those slits with a Dremel, using a tiny circular saw blade on the end of a shaft. I hold the dremel down on the workbench, horizontally, and slide the board along as I cut. That gives good depth control and fairly straight lines. That's a lot easier than cutting with a blade, if you can tolerate fairly wide cuts.

I like these copper breadboards. You can do GHz stuff this way. I annotate them with a Sharpie pen and keep them for possible future use. I also keep the photos in a project file.

John

Never blew them - 1.5 MW pulses from klystrons (2.5 GHz) luckily did not explode, but the sound of 1.5 by 3 inch waveguide flashing over is pretty impressive.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

I worked at a 2 MW RADAR site in the '70s. You should see what happens when the waveguide on a 5 MW EIRP UHF transmitter site cracks. We were losing nitrogen, which affect the signal. It would compress the sync on the NTSC signal. The tower crew started inspecting the 1800+ feet of waveguide looking for broken bolts, or obvious damage like a pinhole from lightning. One of the workers found it, the hard way. He was turning around and leaned back against a corner, and got a 14" long RF burn on his ass. They needed a lot of rigging, and about eight hours to replace that piece of waveguide. Luckily, it was only a couple hundred feet up, where it could be lowered inside the tower legs. The antennas started at the 800 foot level. The tower was over 1700 feet.

Michael A. Terrell

You would be amazed.

Michael A. Terrell

It opens the 'SAVE' window, not a content window.

Michael A. Terrell

?file:///C:/Users/Mikek/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/15MVZFDV/HV_schematic%5B1%5D.JPG?

That is a link to a saved file. What software tried to open it?

Michael A. Terrell

?file:///C:/Users/Mikek/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/15MVZFDV/HV_schematic%5B1%5D.JPG?

It's pointing to a file in a temporary Internet Explorer 5.0 file folder on your computer. I doubt John's computer is named mikek. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Yes. Maybe they've "improved" it in the negative direction.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

That's why I kept using the 4.** Netscape series. The later ones were useless.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mounting a broken carbide drill bit in the Dremel lets you "draw" pretty much anything you want on the copperclad, too, in pretty good detail. It's a bit wiggly, so hold tight!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I spray mine with Krylon (clear acrylic) after cutting, prior to assembly, mark and file them just as you. That keeps 'em shiny forever. M's got an example...

Also--for an extra, isolated island (or archipelago): tiny square(s) of double-sided FR4, soldered in position.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yeah, mine get grotty from fingerprint corrosion after a week or so.

Those are cool too. I should go downstairs and shear up a couple hundred for future use.

Double-stick foam tape, the picture-mounting stuff, sticks tiny baby boards to copperclad, as does solder. Pretty much nothing else will work.

Kapton makes great sectional insulators, as in my pic.

Hey, you could do an elaborate multi-layer breadboard with tiers of copperclad and foam tape, a sort of Towers of Hanoi thing. It would be a counterpoint to the Jim Williams sort of hairball breadboards.

John

If no one figured by now that your photodiode was about EUV based on the

13.5nm hint, then finally you let on to it with a filename.

I'm surprised no one inquired about the intended application. I was doing some reading a while back, that seemed to indicate that triple patterning and other fancy techniques with standard excimer wavelengths would likely scale devices to below the targeted feature sizes expected from EUV.

I'm suspecting EUV was just another government funded boondoggle. Might have never happened without government involvement. Then the capital would have gone into continuing to push traditional less costly methods, and we may have actually wound up farther along the technological path in less time!

What do people think about EUV vs. traditional methods of reducing feature size?

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I use a hand punch to punch circles out of double-sided copperclad to make the islands. Pretty fast and I can change sizes as desired. The punch makes a dimple in the center of the circle, but that isn't a problem.

John S

Reply to
John S

Well, 13.5 nm is EUV!

There are, I think, three serious companies working on making EUV lithography systems. There is debate as to whether they will be successful. ASML has been reported in the press as selling EUV scanners (what they used to call steppers) for $120e6 each.

Triple patterning is also apparently very expensive. Maybe Moore's law will just stop. That wouldn't be some sort of huge tragedy. Who really needs 15 million songs stored on their iPod?

John

Don't you worry, Micro$oft & Co. will find a way to use it all up. It's not the songs. It's all the software upgrades.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen