Voltage Trigger Problem - High Voltage to Low Voltage

I have connected a switch (off/on) to a USB output on my computer. I measure 5V from the end of the USB that is going to my switch. I am recording the voltage going from high (5V) to low (0V) when the switch is turned off/on. My problem:

The voltage I record does not drop off fast, it drops off fast to about 1V, then slowly to 0V after 10 seconds or so.

I tried a different USB outlet on a different computer (laptop) and it seems to work better most of the time (drops fast to 0V).

Any reasons why I would see the "slow" drop using one vs. the other? Any thoughts on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Reply to
beginner1.mat

WHat ever load you have connected to the LOAD side of the switch is loading the output down until it reaches a diode volt or two.

The load could even be your meter, I've seen some really cheap ones.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Terminate..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Are you measuring the voltage unloaded? Put a load on it and measure again.

If loaded, what's going on inside the load?

I once built a GPIB interface that hooked the outputs of a PIC processor to the bus. I turned off the power supply and the damn thing kept working. I was gonna post my results in the free energy groups and start a crowd funding campaign to continue development. But, alas, it was the voltage on the bus feeding back thru the output and running the processor. Bummer.

Reply to
mike