variable Vth

Hello Lasse,

Maybe, although I have seen Pentium mobile laptops quit in under two hours as well.

My old rule: Never buy a laptop above $1500 unless there is a very compelling reason. They break too easily and age too fast. I would expect that designers of "modern" machine would at least make an effort to learn from the old masters who designed the Contura series. Maybe I am expecting too much ...

Why is it that Compaq could do all that 15 years ago for laptops in the budget pricing range? The Contura was one of the lowest cost brand name laptops you could buy in those days.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Frank,

Maybe because many of my designs have to be very cost efficient. Oh drat, now I have used it again...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

"Joerg" schreef in bericht news:9XnOe.239$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

Hey Joerg, did you know that every post of yours uses at least on of the the words "expensive, cost, price, money" etcetera ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Hi Keith

Can you explain more about fourth terminal of soi? Thank you

Jason

Reply to
jason

The fourth terminal is the body. By modulating the body one changes the characteristics of the transistor. One usually ties the body somewhere or leaves it float, but it can be used to alter the characteristics of the transistor. See also: "Dual-Gate FET" and "FinFET".

--
  Keith
Reply to

It's probably a P3 architecture. P4's are a disaster for numeric work.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson skrev:

snip

yep, the pentium-m is not a pentium4 its a (heavily) modified pentium3

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Joerg skrev:

I think my 2.4GHz noname laptop does around 3 hours, and it's a P4 it should be alot better with a mobile pentium.

IBM claim something like 10 hours for some of their laptops if you add an extra battry instead in the drive bay

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I switched to AMD chips for my PSpice machine... way faster yet than my old P3.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Sylvain,

Like, which ones? I haven't seen one yet.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well, you just need to select carefully. My laptop costed me about 1300 eur >2 years ago and it's equiped with "centrino" processors which are great for power consumption, they reduce both their clock speed and v_core according to the load. the newer centrino are even better.

Usually in that price range you find two categories : those who are means as laptop and those that are meant as desktop replacement. The latter category has higher clock rate / performance / feature for the same price but are often bigger / power-hungry.

I think the laptop designers didn't do that wrong since a modern laptop easily stays on doing burautic work for 5h/6h and is noticeably faster than your 486 ;p But the centrino marking was disturbing because mine is "only" 1.3 Ghz while the clock rate back at the time for the P4 was like 3Ghz. But my laptop is still faster in some computation than my 2.6 Ghz P4 ...

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

Hello Lasse,

3hrs isn't stellar but better than most. Thing is, my old Contura could do that on a cheap NiCd.

I feel a bit uneasy about giving up the drive. My Contura ate three hard drives. The scream of death of a HD sounds awful but I had always backed up. In its defense I must say that it has traveled a few hundred thousand miles and sometimes it was rough. Nowadays a memory stick would do but they are a bit clumsy in portable use. An alternative might be a PCMCIA with an SD slot, if the laptop still has PCMCIA.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Sylvain,

That is a great performance, especially with video since it eats batteries fast.

Probably because they are so souped up these days. The old NiCd batteries usually lasted 3 years or more.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Mine is an Acer Travel mate 800. And I did use it for 5 hour straight, doing mainly ssh from it to some server to configure them, while using wireless. I remember that quite well, I had it for like 2-3 week and I wanted to test the advertised capacity, I was really surprised ! Watching Xvid encoded movies during my weekly 2h train traject left it at about 50% of it's capacity.

Unfortunatly the battery are not that good, after a year it has lost half it's capacity ;(

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

It is. With a shorter pipeline, improved branch prediction and *LOT* more L1/L2 cache compared to P3. (IIRC, I read that like 2 years ago when I looked what to buy)

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

The original P4s had no integer multiplier (shipped IMULs *across-chip* to the FPU) nor barrel-shifter. Both were disasters for INT performance.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Memory sticks are great, but there is also the CD/DVD writer, for backups.

--
  Keith
Reply to