USB microscopes for very small SMT

I've never downloaded a song either but I have my black vinyl on disk, not to mention digital photos, etc. There are other reasons for performance other than bloat. Not to mention that people really do want that "bloat".

They'd be bankrupt.

Reply to
krw
[...]

Move out? I don't think I'll do that in this here earthly life. They'll have to pry the old Weller iron out of my cold dead hands.

When I was da boss and held the first "state-of-the-union" style meeting (where everyone is present) I told the people that when they had trouble with hardware they should ask me. And that I would never hold it against anyone because he or she didn't know something.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm... if only Christianity believed in reincarnation... ;-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I annoy kids when I come up with numbers in a couple of seconds, while they're still fiddling with their Blackberry.

We still do a lot of arithmetic in our heads, at meetings and such. But it's not classic adding/subtraction of digits, it's more like a mental slide rule, rough "analog computing" estimates or rounding to cardinal points (like 3/8 = 0.375) and then tossing in an estimated interpolation to get a little closer. There are times when a 20% accurate estimate is still very valuable.

But yeah, I'm not sure if I can still do long division, and even subtraction seems silly by hand.

John

Won't happen :-)

But I recently asked our pastor whether there was good quality beer in heaven. He said "I sure hope so!". Maybe they've got Internet, too. Online is fantastic, I needed to do some year-end biz purchasing and could use one more solder station because that darn digital one croaked again. No more digital irons here from now on unless I get to design the electronics myself. Just ordered a Weller WES-51, 92 bucks at Amazon. Unbelievable. Oh, I also added a Samsung NC-10 netbook (thanks for the hint, Howard!).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Well, when people like me start looking and shopping for older versions of Acrobat or Works or whatever that would disturb me if I was a manager there.

Take a look at Vista: IMHO a blatant slap in the face for the designers. Clients of mine only buy PCs when they come with XP or the right to downgrade. Until a few minutes ago (when I placed the order) I was in the market for a netbook -> All XP. Else I wouldn't have bought one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'll cross my fingers. :-)

Cool, let us know how it works for you. Over Thanksgiving there the only netbook I found in a store to play with was the HP Mini 1000, and I was surprised with how good the keyboard worked given the size. Still, I'm not quite sold on them yet for my own needs. I really wish that the old HP 2133 wasn't the only machine with a 1280x768 pixel display... 1024x600 (as found on all the other netbooks) just seems a little too limiting. Other than that, the Dell Mini 9 looks quite attractive... what made you decide on the NC-10 in particular?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I was eyeing the Dell Mini 9 at first, then some others. The Samsung won hands down in battery runtime. I wanted a time machine transfer back into the early 90's where my old Compaq Contura gave me 6h out of old-tech NiCd. The Samsung clocked in at 7-8h in tests. That cinched it for me.

With some battery saver tricks and hibernate mode I should be able to use that at clients all day long without having to plug in. Of course, for fire-ups of new (larger) designs I'll still schlepp the heavy Durabook because its larger screen makes Gerber and schematic viewing much easier. That Durabook has been very good to me over the years. It still turns heads because it has that nice macho DoD look.

Also ordered a Prologix adapter at Sewell so I don't have to use the digital camera to get a screen shot off of older HP equipment at clients. Hopefully. We'll see how easy it is to get that local button-press plot intended for the old HP Think-Jets into the laptop or netbook. This would also save time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Are you familiar with John Miles' GPIB tools here -->

? For free they're quite good -- I've used them for a number of years now (I can vouch that they work with HP 875x network analyzers and 859x spectrum analyzers), and he added support for the Prologix devices not too long ago now.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, when the Prologix arrives I want to try out the 7470.exe routine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

or
for "light" programs that won't bog down your netbook.

See, for example, ACDSee

ACDSee 1.0 for Windows 95 (0.5 MB) ACDSee 2.1 (0.6 MB) ACDSee 2.22 (0.9 MB) ACDSee 2.4 (1.9 MB) ACDSee 2.42 (1.9 MB) ACDSee 2.43 (1.6 MB) ACDSee 2.45 (German) (2.0 MB) ACDSee 3.0 (3.9 MB) ACDSee 3.10 (5.7 MB) ACDSee 4.01 (11.4 MB) ACDSee 4.02 (10.8 MB) ACDSee 5.0.1 (11.1 MB) ACDSee 7.0 (14.8 MB) ACDSee 8.0 (12.1 MB) ACDSee 8.1 (24.2 MB)

V2.22 (0.9 MB) will work with most non-raw photos.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:51:16 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

I have installed xpdf (pdf Linux viewer), and xv (Linux picture viewer) on my eeePC. xv can also convert between formats. The resident programs I could not even remember how to spell the long names. also added ccrypt, pine, and fetchmail, the list gets longer and longer: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eeepc/ Now even have Apache 2 and proftp running, together with named, so the eeePC can run as server (yes with a new kernel with iptables activated). Oh, and I have terrestrial TV now working via an USB receiver on it:

Jan Panteltje

The order of magnitude is usually good enough in such circumstances. One significant digit is almost always enough. That sort of "accuracy" was what I lost by using calculators as a crutch. Annoying but I wasn't a bad trade, IMO.

I never worried too much about multiplication and division beyond one digit. That's what the slip stick was for. One digit was enough to verify the process, something now missing with calculator (or spice) results.

Reply to
krw

In real life, they are. Most reasonably complex hardware projects are successful, and most reasonably complex programming projects aren't.

John

It succeeds or fails with the skills of the software manager and also the organizational diligence, version control, documentation and such. Some programmers seriously think a comment line here and there constitutes proper documentation.

That's not to say that hardware designers are always better in that respect. I have met a few who do documentation after the project and see it as a chore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What about parents that don't have the skills to teach physics? What about parents who aren't equipped (mentally, financially, whatever reason) to home school? Should these kids be left behind because schools fail? Withdrawing from the system may be the answer for individuals but it doesn't help the system. Schools must be held accountable no matter what the parents do.

It takes time to learn how to do things another way. The first time, for instance, the bread requires more "tending". It would certainly take me significant time to make a wood fire. That time can be spent in only so many ways. If it's recreation, fine.

I've

I'd rather it hadn't, but there were many years I didn't even need a calculator. I finally bought another one (HP-35s) a year ago because I finally had need for it.

The calculator isn't in prison. ;-)

attack

It seemed you were railing against all software as being bloated with the bloat being management (mis)directed. I counter that that bloat may be management directed, but management is directed by the customer. Paying customers like feature-itis, whether they complain about it or not.

fixes a

I've worked in large teams, at small independent tasks in large teams, and in small teams. They're all fun, as long as management doesn't F**K it up. The company I work for now seems to be pretty well run, though doesn't have infinite resources. Management is a little bit optimistic WRT schedules, though (the owner is getting a little antsy ;-).

Reply to
krw
[snip]
[snip]

I have the whole gamut right now: tutoring a second grader in subtraction, and a junior in high school in Calculus ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:41:15 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

For the sake of argument perhaps ... that is not correct. Take for example the software for the space programs, the mars landers. Sure there are problems and bugs, but sure it all works. OK, sometimes it crashes, same with the hardware though.

You got to get over the software issue.

OTOH I wonder, was in a place to order some coffee and stuff, long line of people waiting to pay ... the tiller crashed 2 times while I was holding my hand out with 10 Euro. One lady to take the money, and a guy to reboot the computer.... Creates jobs...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I find that quite sad. In our school back then we learned things right then and there, no tutoring. I only had to ask my father about the things that weren't in the curriculum, like how an oil furnace works so I could fix it when he was on a biz trip and the thing went on the fritz. Among the best teachers were lay people. For example one guy from our ham radio club prepared an elaborate short seminar teaching us how PAL system color TVs work. I was around 15 years old and he made it so clear that I understood it. Still amazes me how he did that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Me? 100% of my programming projects work. Nearly 100% of our released firmware is shipped bug-free on the first release. Probably because we treat programming as an engineering task, and employ no programmers.

"The 10th edition of the annual CHAOS report from The Standish Group, which researches the reasons for IT project failure in the United States, indicates that project success rates have increased to 34 percent of all projects."

John