Supereyes USB microscopes?

[Probably not the most appropriate newsgroup, but nevertheless still.]

Could someone please shed some light on the Supereyes-brand USB microscopes' specifications? I've seen claims of something like 5 Mpx & 200x optical zoom, but I'm suspect that these are (quite) a bit overstated, given the price (like 25 USD a piece.)

First and foremost, do they really employ a 5 Mpx sensor? Somehow, I've got the impression that they may be using a 640 x 480 (0.3 Mpx) one, and then "enhance" the image in software.

My guess is that I'd need something with a (1 .. 2) Mpx sensor, and more or less decent optics (Supereyes' or better), for my task. Is there some other brand I should consider?

TIA.

PS. Naturally, the device shouldn't require any "custom" drivers or software to operate.

--
FSF associate member #7257
Reply to

eless

nd

omething

e are

piece.)

ensor,

r my

How does that compare to the Veho VMS-004D with 2MP CMOS sensor which sells for $56 online?

Which Supereyes model and sensor are you talking about?

Reply to
Greegor

I recently bought the 200x kind.

From a quality and resolution POV it looks more like 1MPixel. But that could also be due to the lens. Obviously there can't be a $1k lens in there :-)

It works out of the box into Windows Explorer. But for using the various resolution modes (which affects frame rate) you need their software. The one on the CD didn't work and they have a free download. It took a while to figure out that only the non-w version works.

LED: This is not SW-controllable and the LEDs will stay lit even with the PC off, depending on PC-configuration and whether you use a powered hub (I do). Until USB power gets cut.

Another thing you should now: The USB cable does not have any rotational strain relief so don't use this in a rough environment where it gets moved a lot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

eless

nd

omething

e are

piece.)

ensor,

r my

I cannot speak to the specifics of what you are looking at....

I have been looking at cracked solder joints through a traditional microscope, but am not able to get very good pictures. A guy in the office has one of those usb microscopes and they are very good....but.... the focal point is so close to the device that I could only get good images looking straight down on the chip. Unfortunately, the cracked leads were only visible when viewing through a traditional microscope and tilting the board a lot.

So, while I think these devices are great, they may not get some angle you need.

Reply to
brent

There is an adjustment wheel for focus though. Also, there are two protrusions to prevent hitting the lens on the object, probably can be sawed off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Get a Mantis!

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

... and buy a fortune cookie factory and clean it out, to get the space for a Mantis :-)

Seriously, that and the fact that it easily fits into my briefcase is why I bought the Supereyes microscope.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

rtheless

brand

f something

hese are

a piece.)

or?

g a

in

x sensor,

for my

Can you get a focal point 3 inches away?

How much did it cost?

Reply to
brent

No, about 1/2" from the protrusions or almost 3/4 from the LEDs.

For soldering very fine stuff I use a Veho VMS-001, that can do several inches and it also has a cap against the solder fumes.

I think I paid around $120 for it, including a somewhat flimsy stand. Could have gotten a better deal but needed it for a job, and fast. I found the image quality quite remarkable for that price so to me it's definitely worth it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Phase contrast anyone?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You're apparently fighting a depth of field problem. Your unspecified model PCB inspection microscope probably has a limited depth of field, as controlled primarily by the objective lens. More magnification means a smaller depth of field. Nikon DoF calculator (Java required): By tilting the PCB, you're making things more difficult as getting a decent photo of a tilted PCB requires an even larger depth of field. It's the same DoF problem with both microscopes.

I suspect that you can put the camera perpendicular to the PCB, and move the light source around until the cracks become visible. You can also cheat a little. Smear some fluorescent dye on the solder joint crack. Let it penetrate into the crack. Wipe, and illuminate with a UV flashlight. You can buy the dye at any auto parts store: (Note: I haven't tried this yet).

Some interesting reading on USB cameras for PCB inspection: Mine looks exactly like this: It's flimsy, cheaply built, poor construction, and takes great photos mostly because of the close in LED lighting.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I have a Veho VMS-004, $69 from Amazon with a stand. It's 640x480, adjsutable focus, but strangely stops just short of infinity. The problem with all these Dyno clones is that the LEDs are close-in, and there's a lot of reflection glare.

This one works without loading any software in XP, but Win7 doesn't seem to have a built-in video cam viwer. Strange.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

have

I use my Veho mostly with its LEDs turned off. On the Supereyes there is a potmeter (a literal one) to adjust brightness from zero to full, much better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

have

There are webcams with adjustable white-illuminated LEDs for as little as $1. Forget the video, that's a pretty good USB utility light.

Why don't cars have USB connectors?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Why don't you have one in your forehead?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

adjsutable

these

have

They do. Last time I was in a Ford Fusion it had several. IIRC the Mustang we rented had that as well, plus blue pedal lighting for whatever reason. You drive a European car and some of those features take a while to make it over there. Just like cup holders did :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There are also various microscope ring illuminators, most of which are adjustable:

A cigarette lighter to USB adapter is usually sufficient. You can choose between igniting a cancer stick, or charging a smartphone. The decision should be obvious. The difficult part is finding one that will supply 2A for powering an iPad.

It might also have something to do with padded dashboard collision safety, where a USB connector projecting from the dashboard would be considered a hazard.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Some after market car stereos have them so you can play MP3s from a USB stick.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

adjsutable

these

have

I wish I could plug a laptop into my Audi and reprogram most of its Im-Smarter-Than-You behavior. The windshield wipers are amazing.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers