Very small very powerful robots

Jan Panteltje

Oh, great. Another thing for my nightmares.

I wonder how long the adhesive lasts.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Apr 2015 21:37:49 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

Depends how much you shake in your nightmares.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What could go wrong?

Spehro Pefhany

At least they're quite slow.

So far.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That's just the boffin stuff- they don't need speed to demonstrate algorithms. There are faster ones for military purposes.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

kind of cool. Any info on what the non-adhesive adhesive pad is?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The article text is here:

"The secret is in the adhesives on the robots' feet. Their design is inspired by geckos, which have climbing skills that are legendary in the animal kingdom. The adhesives are covered in minute rubber spikes that grip firmly onto the wall as the robot climbs. When pressure is applied, the spikes bend, increasing their surface area and thus their stickiness. When the robot picks its foot back up, the spikes straighten out again and detach easily."

--
Cheers,

Chris
Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Apr 2015 22:42:37 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

I like the climbing the wall gecko thing, found it from this link:

mm seems Russia now has a new tank too, they are (think) more realistic about electrionics :-)

Quote: "However, he warns that network-centric systems can be unstable. "Electronics are a very sensitive thing," Sivkov said. Should the system get suppressed, the tank's crew could be left practically helpless, unless they are also trained in more old-school style of combat." " I think 'merricans sometimes forget that.

Need some of that gecko stuff to experiment :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:53:52 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

I wonder what happens if I throw one of those super-magnets into such a swarm.

Or just a bucket of 10 second glue, or ... Usually that higtech is easily defeated by very low tech.

But once in a blue ? moon they find somting usable.

Ants, I kill them by the hundreds each year.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Prolly wear out due to friction with micro-diamonds. Geckos seem to die before their pads wear out, so that can be used as a very crude lower limit. Maybe multiply by 5 for better guesstimate?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm assuming that geckos constantly regenerate their pads, which the robots presumably don't do.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else