very small mechanical latching relays

Do they make very small mechanical relays(for switching very small currents and voltages) that also latch?

Essentially I need a way to switch analog audio signals using a "non-envasive" method... which means no semi-conductors(theres a reason but don't bother asking... just assume its impossible and don't try to give reasons why it should matter cause I already know them).

Obviously the coil is the issue but since the currents and voltages are very low I assume that the conductor for the switch can be small also and therefore one doesn't need such a large coil... or maybe theres some other mechanism for switching that could be used...

What I want is for the switch to latch in the on or off state and need any power to hold that state. I believe this could be accomplished with springs or some other method of producing just enough friction to hold the switch in place.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

"Very samll" is not a dimension, but yes, they make small, magnetically latched relays with two coils. A pulse to one coil latches the relay, and a pulse to the second coil unlatches it.

We need actual specifications, if we are to find you something.

Here are some examples:

John Popelish

a few volts which problem on average is < 1V(actually about 100mV on average) and the current is in the mA range if not smaller but probably smaller.

I was hoping something a bit smaller than 1/2". I would be using a lot of these and the smaller the better.

The idea is that I want to switch a couple of components into various configurations using a digital method instead of mechanical... right now I have 3x8 dip switches to do the switching and it requires that I change all the switches by handle to a specific setting that corresponds to some configuration. I just want to simply automate the switching so that different configurations can be had at a touch of a button.

Ultimately it would be easier to use semiconductors but because this project might end up commerial and because its use in audio and the market I'm aiming for is very anal about solid state interfering with the quality that I would like to do this with mechanical relays. Of course the smaller the better for various reasons.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

If you use a reed relay, put a small magnet close to one end. It will make the contact sticky, and a reverse current will release the contact. You might google for "latching reed relay" I got 230 hits, the first one could be it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Take a look at the Fujitsu FTR-B3G type parts, DPDT, in Mouser. Drop-in equivalents are available from Omron and NEC. They switch very fast (about a millisec) and seem very reliable.

We use the single-coil version (bipolar drive) and drive the coil from a tiny-logic dual NOR gate.

John

http://www.omron.com.cn/cma/uploadpic/g6h0234.pdf
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks guys. These are a bit larger than I was hoping for but might work. I'll have to figure out something and might just go with fets, atleast for a prototype.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon Slaughter