USB microscopes for very small SMT

Magnification doesn't really make sense in this application unless the screen size is known. Have you considered just wearing magnifiers. On the low end, you just get reading glasses. There are magnifiers you can wear.

The brain (OK, my brain) wants the motion of the iron to make sense from my perspective. Now why a manipulator probe is not a problem is another story. It may be that the soldering iron can move in any direction. When you probe, you move one direction at a time.

Reply to
miso

Not bad for eighty bux.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I just started to need reading glasses this year (weak ones, about +0.75 dioptre). For close work, I decided to go the whole hog and get some bifocals--reading glasses above and +2.5 dioptre for close work below.

They coat about $35 from Zenni Optical, with nice frames, good coatings, and the correct interpupillary distance. The nice thing about that is that for that price I can order a few pairs to leave lying around the lab, and can even experiment with reducing the interpupillary distance to take account of converging on nearby objects. That really helps reduce the eye strain.

For higher mag, I use a Zeiss surgical microscope, but that doesn't fit in anybody's kit bag.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That is the first thing that I noticed with Mantis. Not to mention the back reflection.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

It looks like it comes with built in light but why does it need 32MB free system memory?

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Well, you know how software is usually written these days ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Costco. Three pair for maybe $17 US. One by the bed, one by the PC, and one for the car. Getting old is a bitch.

Does the Zeiss fit on your head, or is it a table top microscope?

Reply to
miso

ee

640K is all you will ever need. Just ask IBM.
Reply to
miso

A huge magnifier lens in front of me keeps getting in the way. Magnifier glasses is what I am using, a mild pair for reading and 2-3x for SMT. But 0204 and SC75 packages are borderline and I want to be prepared for the time when my eyes say "no" to that despite magnifier glasses.

The other issue is the switch between soldering and looking at the scope. Phil's bifocals would probably work but I really prefer a monitor. It had worked great for me when checking on things in catheter manufacturing.

Probably IFR flying will train the brain but at today's gas prices that might not be so cool. I got used to this via ham radio. The big power amps needed fine adjustment of two huge capacitors in a Pi filter and the power meter and plate current indicators move in opposite directions, plus things can reverse. Same in ultrasound, did that >20 years now, the image often moves opposite and there are zero optical cues. You get used to that quickly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Bifocals? Now that would be cool. Got to go to Costco anyhow soon. Running low on beer :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It could be, for most things, but we have become wasteful. Yesterday a couple of TLA files from a Tek analyzer were sent here for analysis. Grand total of 6MB, more than the available space on the whole hard disk of my first PC.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My ancient Canon Powershot A70 comes with software that shows a live viewfinder on the PC screen. It takes way better live video than the cheap webcams that I have tried. I think it is because it has a proper lens and a CCD with a large physical area so that it can capture enough light. It doesn't have as many pixels as a newer digital camera, however that is irrelevant because it has many more than the PC screen can display. (NTSC video cameras and many webcams will not have enough pixels to fill a laptop screen without interpolating, so I think these would not be so worthwhile if your time is costly.) By the way, there is a known fault with the Canon Powershot A70 and many others, whereby the CCD fails. You can get the CCD assembly replaced free when it fails, so no problem.

Chris

Reply to
chrisgj198

Drugstore reading glasses almost always have a 66 mm interpupillary distance, which causes eyestrain in most of the population.

The Zeiss is floor-mounted and has its own suspension system--it's designed for use by surgeons. Mine is from probably 1970--it was old when I got it.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Drugstore reading glasses almost always have a 66 mm interpupillary distance, which causes eyestrain in most of the population.

The Zeiss is floor-mounted and has its own suspension system--it's designed for use by surgeons. Mine is from probably 1970--it was old when I got it.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Tell me about it. I am nearsighted, and used to be able to easily read the microprint on US currency and the signature "line" on checks (no help with optics). It is getting to the point that i am having problems reading logos / markings on some ICs and discretes.

Reply to
Robert Baer

YES! The 64K "feature" on the motherboard (meaningthe RAM was solderd in). More than enough to run multi-user MP/M, even tho it was a hog. eating 48K TPA (56K TPA for compile).

Reply to
Robert Baer

The parts keep getting smaller, and the days of white silkscreen are gone. Laser-marked epoxy has a contrast ratio of 1.3 or something, if the angle is just right. Brownish-black on blackish-brown.

A quick swipe with an IPA-soaked q-tip will sometimes reveal the secret top-mark, for a second or so.

Cheer up: *nobody* can read this stuff.

John

That's one of the reasons I'd like such a simple microscope. You can zoom in and let some histogram equalizer SW work on it. When trying this with a digital camera I was sometimes able to read the code on SMT parts and tell the client "Hey, found the problem, you guys stuffed the wrong transistor for Q37". But it's cumbersome, no USB streaming.

No answer from Veho (not a good sign, they don't have Thanksgiving in the UK) but a German engineer told me that the previous model worked at

10-15cm distance. That's >5", should be enough. So I think I'll try it (and then let you guys know).
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Got some bifocals a few years ago, since I have a huge prescription (9.5 diopters) but found that they drove me nuts! If I had the cash, I think I would just get some reading glasses with the other prescription. Since the reading prescription was in the bottom, I was always having to look up to use the computer...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Real pain isn't it. I was up to tri-focals and even tried Vari-Lux, but finally resorting to R-K ~1990.

Later had a lens replacement on the right eye, because R-K "creeps".

So I only need readers now.

...Jim Thompson