USB and micro controller

Hi All,

I want to create a project where I can communicate with a micro controller (preferable a cheap one), which is connected to a computer.

Does anyone knows where I can find information about this?

gr. Roxlu

Reply to
roxlu

ftdi

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

You could take a look at the U4x1 products at

available at
and

It might help to provide a little information about what it is that you want to do, and how you wish to communicate. One line set high or low is "communication".

-Rob

Reply to
Huey

One simple way is to use a USB-serial converter (built into a cable) and use serial communications with a micro that has a hardware or software UART.

You can buy chips similar to the types used in the above and integrate the chip into your project.

Or you could use a micro which has USB (peripheral) support built-in. A (talented) friend was able to throw together a HID class device pretty quickly and cheaply using an appropriate PIC18F. Freescale has a lot of parts aimed at this market.

That's assuming you just need simple non-critical communication. If you need high-speed or isochronous communication, for example, it will be different.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

there are some new PICs that have a USB controller built in - very easy interface - the drivers (for the PC end of things) are available as a download from Microchip

Reply to
feebo

Google :)

Reply to
Damir

If you want one of these preprogrammed (with a boot loader and a simple program to perform simple I/O) take a look at the Bit Whacker at SparcFun:

Looks like an easy thing to start with, unless the original poster is wanting to do something for a class, then buying this, more or less ready made solution wouldn't be a good idea.

Jeff

     safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett\'s Familiar Quotations (1919)
Reply to
Jeff Findley

this site might get you started - it also gives an assembly listing for handling USB with a 16C745

feebo

this has a large range of USB intefacing products. You might find something there that suits your needs.

Also have a look at Jan Axelson's USB page at:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World\'s smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I'm not sure about the speed.. Untill now, I've only tested with rs-232, at a 115200 rate. I want to use USB, because serial ports aren't used that much anymore on computers.. How fault tolerant is USB at a compared speed of 115200 (rs-232)?

Reply to
roxlu