Where can I find low speed USB cable?

I'm designing a low speed USB device and I'm having difficulty finding a vendor with the cable I need.

I'm looking for either the pre-USB 2.0 low speed cable (which does not include an inner shield and drain wire and is less expensive) or post-USB 2.0 low speed cable.

Can anyone point me to a vendor? All I can find are manufacturers that brag about how their cable supports high speed USB 2.0 and is X number of times more efficient than the USB 2.0 spec requires.

All I need is the good old fashioned cheap cable with a Type A connector for the host side and a pigtail for the device end!

Help, please? Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

Pardon muy ignorance but why not just buy a very cheap USB cable and cut one of the connectors off?

Reply to
Juan Lauda

one

I think he may be looking at larger volumes?

Reply to
Brett

Yes, I am looking at larger volumes.

It seems to me that getting cable assemblies with connectors at both ends would be more expensive then just getting a cable with the Type-A at 1 end. Cost is of enormous importance.

Even if I HAD to do something like you suggested - I haven't found any cables A-A, A-B A-whatever that are not rated for full and high speed USB. I'm looking for the cheaper, more flexible low speed USB cable.

Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

in

suprised

for

[ -- top posting fixed -- ]

F*ck me! It must be the English accent in my typing that makes me difficult to understand!

At $1.92 in lots of 100 for single ended cables, thats more expensive than single quantities of double ended cables in the UK.

Like I said, you *will* inevitably pay more for USB cables from someone whose main line of business is selling semiconductors and ICs rather than PC commodities.

Find a US-based PC component distributor who deals direct with the factories in Taiwan (it's not hard, there must be thousands of them) and you will get them much cheaper.

Reply to
Juan Lauda

So you're looking for a mouse-type wiggly cable, then? You probably have to go full custom with someone like . These products aren't readily available in the "retailish" market in the USA, apparently. (We were looking for something similar about a year and a half ago). In Asia, expect to pay about $0.40-0.50 for a 1m cable with Type A connector.

BTW, I see has A-to-A full-rate cables for $0.68 (min qty 100). Not wiggly, but cheapish...

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

If you are going for low cost put a USB connector on the board and use a cable with both ends.

Much easier to do (Machine placable), no wires to break etc No labour of someone hand attachine the cable. And you can buy a standard cable.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

I've heard of Assmann... it's difficult to look at that name and not get a chuckle. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Jimbo

Low speed USB doesn't work with standard connectors on the device side. This part of the spec is to avoid low speed cables being plugged into higher speed devices.

Reply to
Jimbo

How does it know? And if you are using a cheapo high speed cable with your low speed USB, how does it matter?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Utter bullshit.

Reply to
Juan Lauda
[...]

Close.

The spec says a low-speed cable cannot have both a series A and series B connector, but must instead be permanently attached to the low-speed device (with a series A connector on the other end). The reason for this is as you state: to prevent users from inadvertantly plugging a low-speed cable into a high-speed device.

So if you have a cable with both a series A and a series B connector, it is either a high-speed cable, or does not conform to the spec.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Because the first line of the original posting states

"I'm designing a low speed USB device".

A low speed device will work with any old USB cable, captive or otherwise. If the designer is seeking compliance/approval so that he can stick USB logo on his product packaging then fair enough, but given the recent USB

2.0/hi-speed USB bollocks I wouldn't bother.
Reply to
Juan Lauda

Instead of complaining like a child, why don't you point to some reference that counters the information I have in front of me in USB Complete. If Jan Axelson is lying, fine. But why don't you grow up and contribute something useful to the thread instead of crying like a baby.

Reply to
Jimbo

Why don't you take your head out of your arse and re-read the f*cking thread? What I have been advocating is the sourcing of complete *full speed* cables from a PC component importer instead of more expensive low-speed cables with one end bared. Whether you cut one of the connectors off or not is up to you, but if you use them as-is they are full-speed cables, not low-speed cables. You can't even buy low-speed A-B cables as they fall foul of your precious specification and I would be surprised if even the cheapest A-B cables from Taiwan aren't hi-speed compliant.

Reply to
Juan Lauda

Will this react adversely with my lithium? They don't like me to mix my medication, here in the sanitarium.

Reply to
Juan Lauda

So I guess that, you can use a low speed device with a High speed cable, they just don't want 'low speed' cables out there that could be plugged into a high speed device.

So fitting a connector on the board and just a cable with plugs on both ends to me would still seem the cheapest and best solution.

And *IF* you really wanted to have one end permanently attached, then put the connector so that then connected cable sits inside the device using the housing and the back of the plug as a strain relief.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Mason

I saw your point. You're the one who isn't following the thread... it must be your English accent.

I never once denied that your suggestion was possible. I only skeptically proposed that the "wiggly" cables would be cheaper. And as another poster suggested they can be purchased for as little as

0.40USD in Asia... cheaper than your precious $1USD cables.

You seemed to interpret my clarification of the USB spec to a different poster as some kind of attack on your idea. It wasn't...

Here's Ralph's innocent message:

use a

labour of

to which I replied:

This had nothing to do with your comment - it was a response to Ralph suggesting using a connector on each end. And even though you proclaimed this was utter bullshit, you never even tried to explain why.

I came to the newsgroup inquiring and you came here stomping your feet. I hoped for some good advice, and you offered something resembling advice... but probably as caustically as was humanly possible.

I should have cleared this up earlier but the "wiggly" cables are exactly what I'm loooking for. I'm designing an input device and a thin and flexible cable is important for usability. The thick, heavily shielded full and hi-speed cables are much less flexible and not, in my opinion, good for an input device that will be moved around a lot by the user.

Juan, I'm sure quaalude will work just fine alongside lithium... but I'd recommend at least 750ml of vodka as well.

Reply to
Jimbo

Ouch.

Reply to
Juan Lauda

The spec states that a compliant full- or high-speed cable will exceed the permitted capacitive load for a low-speed device. Taken at face value, that's fair enough, but the numbers they quote do not support my understanding of transmission line effects. Admittedly, it's been almost ten years since I worked on microwave filters and I'm happy to be re-educated.

The spec talks about capacitive loads equivalent to lumped element capacitances *of the order of* 100pf (IIRC, 75pf - 150pf). Signalling rate for low-speed USB is about 1.5mbs, it's square[ish] wave so presumably there are numerous higer frequency overtones of equivalent sinusoidal waves from

1.5Mhz coming into play.
Reply to
Juan Lauda