Where can I find low speed USB cable?

I'm designing a low speed USB device and I'm having difficulty finding
a vendor with the cable I need.

I'm looking for either the pre-USB 2.0 low speed cable (which does not
include an inner shield and drain wire and is less expensive) or
post-USB 2.0 low speed cable.

Can anyone point me to a vendor?  All I can find are manufacturers
that brag about how their cable supports high speed USB 2.0 and is X
number of times more efficient than the USB 2.0 spec requires.

All I need is the good old fashioned cheap cable with a Type A
connector for the host side and a pigtail for the device end!

Help, please?
Jim

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Pardon muy ignorance but why not just buy a very cheap USB cable and cut one
of the connectors off?

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

one

I think he may be looking at larger volumes?

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Yes, I am looking at larger volumes.

It seems to me that getting cable assemblies with connectors at both
ends would be more expensive then just getting a cable with the Type-A
at 1 end.  Cost is of enormous importance.

Even if I HAD to do something like you suggested - I haven't found any
cables A-A, A-B A-whatever that are not rated for full and high speed
USB.  I'm looking for the cheaper, more flexible low speed USB cable.

Jim

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?
in
suprised
for

[ -- top posting fixed -- ]

F*ck me! It must be the English accent in my typing that makes me difficult
to understand!

At $1.92 in lots of 100 for single ended cables, thats more expensive than
single quantities of double ended cables in the UK.

Like I said, you *will* inevitably pay more for USB cables from someone
whose main line of business is selling semiconductors and ICs rather than PC
commodities.

Find a US-based PC component distributor who deals direct with the factories
in Taiwan (it's not hard, there must be thousands of them) and you will get
them much cheaper.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

So you're looking for a mouse-type wiggly cable, then? You probably
have to go full custom with someone like
<http://connectivity-products.com/ . These products aren't readily
available in the "retailish" market in the USA, apparently. (We were
looking for something similar about a year and a half ago). In Asia,
expect to pay about $0.40-0.50 for a 1m cable with Type A connector.

BTW, I see <http://www.cableliquidation.com/co_list.asp?groupcat=usb
has A-to-A full-rate cables for $0.68 (min qty 100). Not wiggly, but
cheapish...

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Exactly.

Are there any companies you'd recommend?  How would I go about
tracking other Asian retailer/distributors down?

Jim

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Google?

A very very uick search turned up
http://www.allproducts.com.tw/search/products/sE02170601.shtml

Ralph

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

I've heard of Assmann... it's difficult to look at that name and not
get a chuckle.  Thanks for the tip.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

If you are going for low cost put a USB connector on the board and use a
cable with both ends.

Much easier to do (Machine placable), no wires to break etc  No labour of
someone hand attachine the cable.  And you can buy a  standard cable.

Ralph

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Low speed USB doesn't work with standard connectors on the device
side.  This part of the spec is to avoid low speed cables being
plugged into higher speed devices.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

How does it know? And if you are using a cheapo high speed cable with
your low speed USB, how does it matter?

Paul Burke

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Will this react adversely with my lithium?
They don't like me to mix my medication, here in the sanitarium.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Utter bullshit.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Because the first line of the original posting states

"I'm designing a low speed USB device".

A low speed device will work with any old USB cable, captive or otherwise.
If the designer is seeking compliance/approval so that he can stick USB logo
on his product packaging then fair enough, but given the recent USB
2.0/hi-speed USB bollocks I wouldn't bother.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Instead of complaining like a child, why don't you point to some
reference that counters the information I have in front of me in USB
Complete.  If Jan Axelson is lying, fine.  But why don't you grow up
and contribute something useful to the thread instead of crying like a
baby.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Why don't you take your head out of your arse and re-read the f*cking
thread?
What I have been advocating is the sourcing of complete *full speed* cables
from a PC component importer instead of more expensive low-speed cables with
one end bared.
Whether you cut one of the connectors off or not is up to you, but if you
use them as-is they are full-speed cables, not low-speed cables.
You can't even buy low-speed A-B cables as they fall foul of your precious
specification and I would be surprised if even the cheapest A-B cables from
Taiwan aren't hi-speed compliant.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

I saw your point.  You're the one who isn't following the thread... it
must be your English accent.

I never once denied that your suggestion was possible.  I only
skeptically proposed that the "wiggly" cables would be cheaper.  And
as another poster suggested they can be purchased for as little as
0.40USD in Asia...  cheaper than your precious $1USD cables.

You seemed to interpret my clarification of the USB spec to a
different poster as some kind of attack on your idea.  It wasn't...

Here's Ralph's innocent message:

use a

labour of

to which I replied:

This had nothing to do with your comment - it was a response to Ralph
suggesting using a connector on each end.  And even though you
proclaimed this was utter bullshit, you never even tried to explain
why.

I came to the newsgroup inquiring and you came here stomping your
feet.  I hoped for some good advice, and you offered something
resembling advice... but probably as caustically as was humanly
possible.

I should have cleared this up earlier but the "wiggly" cables are
exactly what I'm loooking for.  I'm designing an input device and a
thin and flexible cable is important for usability.  The thick,
heavily shielded full and hi-speed cables are much less flexible and
not, in my opinion, good for an input device that will be moved around
a lot by the user.

Juan, I'm sure quaalude will work just fine alongside lithium... but
I'd recommend at least 750ml of vodka as well.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

Ouch.

Re: Where can I find low speed USB cable?

The spec states that a compliant full- or high-speed cable will exceed the
permitted capacitive load for a low-speed device. Taken at face value,
that's fair enough, but the numbers they quote do not support my
understanding of transmission line effects. Admittedly, it's been almost ten
years since I worked on microwave filters and I'm happy to be re-educated.

The spec talks about capacitive loads equivalent to lumped element
capacitances *of the order of* 100pf (IIRC, 75pf - 150pf). Signalling rate
for low-speed USB is about 1.5mbs, it's square[ish] wave so presumably there
are numerous higer frequency overtones of equivalent sinusoidal waves from
1.5Mhz coming into play.

Site Timeline