US Corona States

There are a few states that have done fairly well after a rocky start. New Orleans had a big sendoff from the infections brought in for Mardi Gras an d then passed all around, but they have since recovered to relatively low l evels. However, these are still high compared to other states and have not dropped further in weeks. New York is in the same kettle with initial mas sive infection rates and subsequent easing, but still not acceptable levels of new infection. Illinois had a later peak and is still dropping, but no t low enough.

Then there are states that have just given in and are letting the disease t ake over. North and South Carolina are both having large upswings. Arkans as is firing up like a candle. Alabama continues to ramp up as does Texas and California. The Arizona infection rate is rising like no other state. I think they are trying to win this race.

It really surprises me that Texas would just give up in a fight. Not reall y the Alamo spirit is it?

Yeah, son, I lost that leg in the COVID war of 2020. We eventually realize d it wasn't worth the fight and let the disease take your grandparents.

Texas isn't the state it used to be. Next time they talk about seceding fr om the union, I'll just sit back and laugh.

Does Larkin live in Texas? No, I bet he retires there.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Massachusetts caseload dropping like a rock, good job everybody:

Reply to
bitrex

California is at 118 PPM dead, mostly in the LA area. There are many counties with just a few cases and no deaths. The total death count in San Francisco is about 50 PPM.

New York state is the real outlier with over 1500 PPM deaths. Queens is about 2800, over 50x the death rate of San Francisco.

My next-door neighbor is an MD, big in this thing. He had the entire town of Bolinas tested. Zero cases.

Strange.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

It didn't help that a large number of infected Biogen employees flew back from Europe and started spreading it all around:

Rhode Island looked north and looked south and more-or-less while not physically, closed the borders and told non-local-employee residents of MA, CT, and NY "don't come here." How much they employed the license-plate scanners at the entry and exit points of the major highways and at many major intersections idk I doubt the police will comment much about it, but they tracked a few out-of-towners down and sent them packing it seemed to work well enough as an example.

Case load there has stayed low throughout the thing and they're into the "Phase 2" reopening, interstate travel restrictions are removed, non-essential businesses and restaurants are open with person limits, patio dining that sort of stuff.

Overstep of the Constitution? yeah probably but the economy was on the margins to begin with so they leveraged small size "you can't police the whole border" "Yeah we can, sue us later" and it wasn't unpopular with the locals.

Reply to
bitrex

incidentally flavored e-cigarette liquid is available for sale again in the state as the state government kind of got distracted and let the temporary ban expire without coming up with some new permanent regulations on it they got too busy.

Prostitution was "accidentally" de-criminalized in 1980 in Rhode Island and remained that way until 2009:

"Rhode Island State Senator John F. McBurney III was the only member of the General Assembly at the time of the 2009 vote who had served in

1980. He stated in 2009, "We probably vote on 500 bills a year (...) They didn't know what they were voting for."
Reply to
bitrex

They pass bills in Sacramento, and we ignore them, and everybody is fairly happy.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

ght in

high

? New

ut not

arge

continues

n rate

this

ually

he

he

But the Covid-19 deaths in California are now up to 121 ppm - an order of m agnitude less than New York State, so far - but thirty times more than Aust ralia or South Korea (both at 4 ppm).

You may like king log, but it doesn't seem to be delivering the kind of gov ernment intervention that stops an epidemic in its track and saves lives.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to