In Reversal, CDC Urges Vaccinated People to Wear Masks Indoors in Areas With High Virus Transmission

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed course Tuesday on some masking guidelines, recommending that even vaccinated people return to wearing masks indoors in parts of the U.S. where the coronavirus is surging.

Article in plain English:

Fred Bloggs

Was anyone *surprised* at this?

Reply to
Don Y

They're trying to save face because a lot saner localities are mandating masks despite their dumb original directive.

As a footnote the article mentioned a bombshell revelation that CDC sampling of vaccinated individuals infected with DELTA have the same concentrations of virus in their nose and throat as unvaccinated infected people. I wonder if those infected vaccinated people were asympotmatic too.

"But with the delta variant, the level of virus in infected vaccinated people is “indistinguishable” from the level of virus in the noses and throats of unvaccinated people, Walensky [CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky] said."

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If you reverse often enough, you make no progress.

Reply to
jlarkin

Hardly a bombshell; select people with a lot of viruses and discover that they have a lot of viruses.

It's impressive, in a bad way, how small a sample size is used in most of the published studies. Numbers way under 100.

Reply to
jlarkin

It's a major bombshell because it obliterates the belief that vaccinated people transmit less disease. They can't count on that anymore- with Delta anyway.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Oh, when this is over, a lot of The Science will turn out to have been bogus. Fame and fortune and power are steering this pandemic.

Design some electronics. You'll feel better.

Reply to
jlarkin

And if you don't "reverse often enough", the feedback loop might be broken. This feedback looks normal and functional. We didn't see that in the previous administration...

Reply to
whit3rd

I was thinking about cloth masks. They are supposed to catch outgoing "fomites", little soggy blobs full of viruses.

What happens next?

KQED is one of our local PBS stations. They have been talking about the virus 24/7 for 15 months or so now, saying the same things hundreds of times a day. We do get a little comic relief from climate change and white racism. Bad News Bloggs would love it.

Reply to
jlarkin

I thought the relaxing of these recommendations was a bad idea, if for no other reason because a worsening of the disease was inevitable and the switching back and forth will create far too much resistance to using masks when needed badly like now. Too many people think we can relax because we are only killing a few hundred people a day without realizing that these numbers are still high. The winter peak in the US and elsewhere seems to have inured us to just how serious this disease is.

Remember Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD)? That was about a tiny fraction of the numbers of dead and injured we are seeing from this disease, yet no group of mothers to protest the lax attitudes and the waves of infection.

Virtually all of the important numbers are in significant upswings, daily new cases, active cases and deaths. Only the most stubborn can claim this is not a significant wave. One of the statistics in the US that really concerns me is the number of active cases which is still above 5 million. Can anyone explain that? This group would have to include many people who got sick many months ago.

Reply to
Rick C

Says the talker who never does anything. It is easy to criticize the work of others. Why don't you work to provide funding so larger studies can be done?

Reply to
Rick C