US Active Cases Still 5 Million, Why? (2023 Update)

Is this a reporting anomaly? Are we doing something wrong with the way we take people off the active case list? The numbers have turned over the last couple of weeks and is going up, but why was it not lower before with the new infection rate so much lower for months?

The new infection rate hit a quarter million before mid January only to come down sharply over the next month or so. It has come down significantly since then as well. Integrating by eye starting at today and moving backward it would seem to take everyone remaining ill who had been infected since maybe February to account for 5 million still infected. We know that some significant proportion of those would have recovered in a month, so what is going on that this number remains so high???

To compare, the US peak was 9 million down to about 5 million now while the infection rates are still very low in comparison. The UK reached a peak of 2 million and dropped below 100,000 before the recent peak sent it back up. Why are these ratios so disparate?

This has to be an accounting or critera issue.

Reply to
Rick C

for cars, right?

Auto break-ins are very common in San Francisco.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I believe John Larkin bitterly regrets moving there. I told him at the time he'd be sorry. I said, "You ought to go to Florida instead, John." But did he listen? No! Well, at least I tried.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Dippy rich tourists leaving their valuables in rental cars the minute they get off the plane. Auto theft was in deep decline everywhere else in the US at least prior to the pandemic , if you don't leave stuff worth stealing in plain sight there's much less profit motive in the crime anymore. A nice aftermarket car stereo used to be worth $200 to a fence but now aftermarket units are rare, the stock units aren't worth shit and they're all lockout-chip enabled anyway, if you try to stuff a stolen head unit in a modern car the system will reject it.

Providence RI used to be the auto theft capitol of America circa early

90s and now it's far below the national average, from 5000 thefts a year in 1995 to 500 in 2015.

Frisco's nice climate also likely means there are still a ton of old

1990s Accords and shit toodling around worth ripping off for parts and easy to jack, most of that old stuff here got chewed up by New England winters a long time ago.
Reply to
bitrex

Florida is OK, except for the heat and the bugs and the pollen and the mediocre ski slopes.

I seriously researched America for six months and decided I'd move to SF or Portland. I'm glad I wound up here.

Thanks for trying!

Reply to
jlarkin