UL Approvals Labs in the UK?

Hi,

Can anyone point me at a sensible and responsive lab in the UK (preferably in the southeast) that I can use for UL (Underwriters Labs) approvals of domestic electronic equipment to be used in the U.S?

The only lab that I have tried so far is KTL, who have proved to be deeply, deeply, disappointing, with email simply unanswered.

Richard Richard D.

Spamtrapped at ngsATradixDASHdesignDOTcoDOTuk

Richard Dungan

Why can't you find a U.S. lab, if the product is to be used in the U.S? No disrespect intended, but even your AC socket is different in the UK.

Reply to
linnix

You don't think that they might know how to test to the relevant UL standards? ;-) Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can believe it might end up cheaper to test in the US though...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Try the CE testing companies. Most of them do FCC approval testing and should be able to do UL certification as well.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Not if you have to send one or more engineers, parts, spare parts, tools and so on. Look for a TUEV outlet. Many test labs are mutually accredited. For example, we often have our stuff tested to US, CDN, EU, JPN standards right here in the US.

Anyhow, get some quotes. Sometimes services in the US can be at a cost advantage that would cover more than your travel expenses, somtimes not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I'm sure that it would be better to do our UL testing in the U.S., apart from the logistical difficulties in actually getting an engineer plus kit over there.

Sadly our regular "CE" lab does not do UL testing, it is very different to typical emissions and immunity testing. So any further ideas would be still appreciated.

Richard Richard D.

Spamtrapped at ngsATradixDASHdesignDOTcoDOTuk

Richard Dungan

Sure, especially if it's something small, light and relatively straightforward, and if the lower costs compensate for transportation, customs brokerage, time zone differences and inevitable language difficulties. ;-)

BTW, UL has an office in the UK (Surrey, IIRC) and probably most other agencies like ETL. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe rent a US engineer with a serious NDA then you only have to ship kit, much cheaper shipping, tradeoff otherwise. Many in this group have worthwhile qualifications.

Reply to
JosephKK

You might try some of the CSA Alliance partners in Europe:

This would be the NEMKO office in the UK.

European services are typically double the cost of North American, in my experience, if cost is the issue.

Providing your actual product and document package is up to snuff, providing adequate test sample quantities is a good way to speed things up and reduce cost, regardless of the test site's location.

RL

Reply to
legg