Anyone can help me

Anyone can help me, im new do things with electronics I have a light modulate kit built with THYRISTOR=B4s and wen I try using light with transformer (normal spots of 30W) they don't work, only the normal lamp work. I hear if I use triac, they can work with the lamps with transformer. Can I simple make the change from thyristors to triac=B4s Wish triac=B4s I can use? Thanks in advance Daniel

Reply to
Daniel

Daniel,

A triac is a thyristor.

It's not obvious to me why your light modulator (dimmer?) doesn't work with transformer driven lamps. I use light dimmers with transformer operated battery chargers and incandescant lamps from time to time. They have always worked for me.

But there is a concern. Power transformers are made to work with sine wave frequencies of 50/60 hz. After chopping the waveform with a triac, there is a considerable amount of power in high frequency harmonics. The transformer will be much less efficient at these high frequencies, and a good share of your input power goes into heating up the transformer.

The saving grace is that while the efficiency goes down for low duty cycle settings, the input power is less. Total heating of the transformer doesn't usually increase. Of course, it depends on many factors, so don't take this as an absolute rule.

Reply to
Blake