Ukraine: North Stream 3? (2023 Update)

The underwater video of the fracture surface seems to show the steel being bent outwards as if there had been a massive localised internal overpressure. It also seems to show a thick red protective coating on the inside of the pipe, so perhaps seawater will not be such a problem as some think.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

There are "pigs", barrel-like things that are run through pipelines. Some clean the insides, some measure wall thickness, some take pictures. Maybe some explode.

Am 19.10.22 um 22:21 schrieb John Larkin:

When I worked on pipeline pigs, we got statistics (sic!) that said that the average rupture of an 48" pipeline in Canada or Alaska would create a 50 meter crater, which normally would only affect some elks. The usual pressure is HUGE. Puncturing the tube is enough.

None of them can move one meter on their own. They are pumped with the oil through the pipeline, or in case of gas as an assembly of several: plug pig, 100m of water, measurement pig,

100m of water, another plug.

Pumping that through the pipeline requires that the destination side is open and anything they put into the tube must come out on the other side. Flow speed must be reduced from the normal case. NS2 had never any throughput, just pressure.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Jan Panteltje snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:tio2i9$3vmdj$1 @dont-email.me:

Find a nice tall building, which is still low altitude and take a big fat flying leap off the top of it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not much point in reinstating it. I doubt Europe is foolish enough to starting relying on Russian gas again until and unless Russia not only gets rid of Putin, but also reinstates a proper democracy with a constitution strong enough to prevent another dictator getting into power. That's probably a long way off.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else snipped-for-privacy@email.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

A very good, spot on read on the whole thing, IMO. +1

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is not blown outward. It is pulled apart axially, yielding clean fractures perpendicular to the pipe wall.

What could do this? Well, a sidewise explosion in the center of the missing 50-meter gap would cause a very large axial force pulling on the pipe on both sides of the explosion center, causing such a fracture.

It's like pulling sideways on a taut rope between two anchor points. One can often pull the anchor point out due to the very large mechanical leverage of that geometry.

We won't be able to tell until we find the mangled pipe from the gap.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Cheap Chinese pipes.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Am 21.10.22 um 00:44 schrieb John Larkin:

More like a scripted reality bozo on TV. And he's fired!

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

People keep complaining that they don't like him. Fine, I don't want him over for dinner.

Which doctor would you select to operate on your heart; a clumsy cheerful doofus or a really skilled nasty person?

Politics shouldn't be a popularity/charisma/beauty contest. It's too important.

I wouldn't choose a doctor whose previous patients all died:

kw

Reply to
ke...

His policies were sensible and good for the country. That's what matters.

Not supported by any available data.

Only a tenable hypothesis to someone who misunderstands the concept of 'common sense'. For instance, almost everyone has common sense (otherwise, it wouldn't be common); it's not remarkable, it's always 'average'.

The Donald, though, had quarrels within his own staff (and fired many); disagreement with the FBI director had a dozen or so top people ready to resign en masse, for instance.

Trump has no claim on common sense.

Reply to
whit3rd

The corporate tax reductions were great.

As I've suggested, a randomly selected plumber would be a better than average President. Politics corrupts.

John Larkin liked them. More expert commentators thought that they were moronic.

John Larkin doesn't actually appreciate the nature of the skills required to be a better than average president. The average plumber hasn't got them. This would mean that he'd be easier to corrupt than the average politician, amongst other fairly obvious weaknesses.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On 2022-10-21 00:26, John Robertson wrote: [Snip!]

^^^^^^^^^ acolytes

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Don't forget the about 150 atmospheres of overpressure inside the pipe. The explosives would only have to structurally weaken the pipe and let the gas do the rest.

Reply to
Robert Latest

Yes, that has to help. But given the usual safety factors on such things, I'd hazard that the explosion of a few hundred kilograms of TNT or the like dominated. Think a million psi.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

that's an airtank with maybe 10bar