capturing an RTSP stream

I would like to capture (download to a file) an RTSP stream generated
by an AXIS video server (241Q/S).

Is there a small program available for Linux, suitable for a small
embedded Linux platform, that could accomplish this?   I'm aware of
mplayer and its ability to do this, but it seems that mplayer and its
associated codecs and libraries are complete overkill, as all I want to
do is capture the RTSP stream and save it to a file, I don't want to do
any encoding or decoding.

Something along the lines of an RTSP-capable wget would be perfect.

Any advise is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: capturing an RTSP stream
You just want the network packets, right? I think ethereal set up with a
filter on the desired port number could do this. You'll probably have to
write a little bit of code to remove duplicate/retransmitted packets and to
pull out the payloads.

-Clark

Re: capturing an RTSP stream
Thanks for the advice, however I was hoping to find something that
already exists to do this.  My fallback option, if I don't find
anything, is of course to write my own program.

Re: capturing an RTSP stream
As a followup, I have found a possible solution in openRTSP, which is a
standalone program that does exactly what I wanted.  I'll post another
followup once I have successfully applied it to my application.

Re: capturing an RTSP stream
I've posted some of my results elsewhere, but I'll embellish on them
here, for those of you following this thread.

I have in fact been able to record MPEG4 video from an Axis 241S video
server using an embedded ARM board using opepnRTSP.

First, I built openRTSP using the excellent Scratchbox
cross-compilation environment.

Then, once deployed on the ARM board, the following command line did
the trick:

./openRTSP -4 -H -u User -w 704 -h 480 -e -f 10
rtsp://nn.nn.nn.nn/mpeg4/media.amp 1>output.mp4

where:
   User and are the user and password to the video server
   -w and -h parameters match the dimensions of the video (e.g. 704x480
here)
   specifies how many seconds to record video
   -f specifies the frame rate (10fps in this example)
   nn.nn.nn.nn is the IP address of the video server.

The only problem I have encountered is that, if I record successive
video clips with immediate successive calls to openRTSP that there is
an unavoidable 1/3 to 1/2-second gap in the video.  I have decided that
is acceptable for my application, at least for now.

--
Tom Hansen
Senior Information Processing Consultant