Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.

[...]

LOL! A model running along a wire. No directional control, and no pilot. Here's a description:

"Some visitors noticed that by the middle of the run, the machine was lifting the wire, as if it were straining to fly on its own."

Good shot, Don. Fooled a lot of people, including me!

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

We've seen some continuous pacing back and forth here on s.e.d.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

These are the first two web pages I have seen which try to refute the pro-Whitehead web sites, and don't think they succeed at all. There are several historical facts which are difficult to refute.

The first link here is what convinced me, but there are many web pages about Whitehead you can check out before you make your final judgement.

Read the article From The Bridgeport Herald, August 18, 1901, written by an eyewitness reporter from this newspaper and published four days after the event.

By the way, some anti-Whitehead people have tried to discredit this article saying it was strange that the article was not published the same day but four days later. But The Bridgeport Herald was a wekly newspaper, so the article was published in the first issue after the event. Nothing strange about that.

After studying the material from both sides on this issue I am sure you will come to the same conclusion as many before you, Whitehead had a working powered aeroplane with enough control of its flight to go where he wanted to go. He used it many times, more than two years before the 1903 first flight by the Wright brothers.

And his plane nr 21 did not land with a crash as so many others, including the Wright brothers plane in 1903. Whitehead's plane landed softly and cleanly on both land and water and could start anew and fly back to the place it started from.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

--
What a shame.

It's a great honor for a free cat to consider you worthy of providing
it with a home, and if you refused the company then you're a sad
little man.
Reply to
John Fields

Old fashioned zoos as still found in the 3rd world are pretty hard on the animals. You see behavior that appears to indicate psychological problems, such as big jungle cats pacing back and forth continously, even after years. Let's not even get into disturbing primate behavior in captivity. Of course humans sometimes act pretty oddly in similar situations.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I agree completely. To have dogs and cats in a city is very unnatural.

I was talking about a situation out in the countryside, and in most of the third world, where cats are very free to choose for themselves if they want to come home again, chose a new home, or go wild.

The ancient stories we have about how the cat historically started living with humans seem to support that cats, at least to some extent, have chosen human company voluntarily.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

On 3 Apr 2005 04:53:37 -0700, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

The good news is that Clown Loaches are much like Popes: If one dies, you can just get a new one.

--D.

Reply to
Daniel Haude

None of this matters. The first heavier than air powered flight was achieved by John Stringfellow in the 1800s.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

--
Yes, of course.  From his post though, I got, "I can't be bothered...)
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Roger Johansson wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Mon, 4 Apr 2005:

To have PEOPLE in a city is very unnatural! Living things adapt, given long enough.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Daniel Haude wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Mon, 4 Apr

2005:

Yes, but the new one is not the same as your former piscine (or papal) friend. Maybe you never kept dogs?

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

But just think about all planes flying this way. You couldn't get lost, and even if your engine failed, you wouldn't crash. The Wright brothers made a big mistake allowing pilots to fly around on their own whim.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Tantrums, throwing of feces, public masturbation, etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Figuratively speaking of course.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I read in sci.electronics.design that Don Pearce wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Mon, 4 Apr 2005:

Use two suspension cables, so that they could be electric-powered. Save carrying tons of fuel about!

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Mon, 4 Apr 2005:

I saw that in the Berlin Zoo not so many years ago, and I had previously thought that it was one of the better ones.

Humans don't even need the excuse of captivity. (;-)

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about 'Twilight for the fishes, we say goodby to our great Clown Loach.', on Mon, 4 Apr 2005:

He said he didn't have time, which is also my reason for not having a pet. I go away on business, too, and it's an imposition to ask other people to look after your pets.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:22:14 +0100, John Woodgate wrote in Msg.

Birds. Same thing. They have a personality. They grow on you, they die, you mourn, you get a new one (or eventually stop). Just like Popes. --D.

Reply to
Daniel Haude

--
And where did the diminutive ones live?^)
Reply to

Yup. Animals adapt. The weird thing is that domesticated animals are so genetically different from their wild cousins that it's a mystery how they evolved or how they could have been domesticated by man. Same thing goes for the differences between wild grasses and grains and the kind we use for food. The wild variety had small, hard seeds that you could hardly pick up unless they stuck to your finger and the raiches were brittle. That's so that when the seed matures, the wind can blow it off. You can't harvest that. Domesticates grains are larger and have a softer shell. The raiches are more durable so that when the seed matures, it doesn't fall off. You have to beat it off (aw, hell -- I'll leave that in for a comedy sub-thread :) )

--
Best Regards,
Mike