Time Travel

During Reagon years, Reagon removed funding for the arts. I battled him against that and lost. I thought govt should fund arts to make certain art was kept alive for our communities. Keep art available for people.

Yet, AFTER funding was removed, two things happened, 1. artists I had never heard of suddenly started appearing to show their wares and ask for money. and 2. art no longer took the form of blocks of glass piled up and sand poured around them, but actually became esthetically pleasing.

Thus, I came to the conclusion that I was wrong! Govt had no right to fund [and therefore distort] the artistic process. By NOT funding art, art became more available to the community *and* was better, being more responsive to the artistic tastes of the community. So without funding the community benefited twice.

Whole process was an eye opener for me. Made me wonder how many other funding issues I was wrong about.

The final conclusion is that govt should NEVER do long term solutions. Temporary funding for the arts injects, but will not distort. Temporary taxes will raise money, but long term taxes stop the taxed activity/business and revenues decline. Even funding projects for short period is good, long term is bad.

Therefore all our laws should have VERY firm expiration dates on them. And politicians even shorter expiration dates.

Reply to
Robert Macy

So, how far back did you and Rich have to travel in order to turn this into a political thread? Neanderthal? Cro-magnon?

Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Piltdown

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Bid prices are based on the function:

P = P0*(1+e^(-t))

The world is coming to an end.  Please log off.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Well, you puts your Piltdown and you takes your chances.

Reply to
John S

into

Who never existed - the find was a faked combination of an artificialy aged modern skull and a jawbone from an ape.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

we

As far as is known, we are Cro-magnon men, and European have a couple of percent of Neanderthal genes. Rich does seem to have devolved a bit.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

we

If you think that more popular art is better art. I wonder if "more popular" electronics designed to appeal to people who didn't know much about electronics, but knew what they liked, would strike this user group as being better electronics?

Makes me wonder about the way you come to conclusions.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ct

en we

Interesting turn of a phrase, but does not relate... Electrionics is a functional solution whereas art is NOT functional. It is meant to address more esoteric requirements. ...art stands the test of time, and the test of time requires a LOT of popular opinions Plus, I refuse to accept as art, crap that has been heralded by some (few) self appointed elitist.

I come to conclusions as anyone does, by envisioning the scenario as it would be expected to unfold.

Reply to
Robert Macy

ject

when we

ney

is

her

So there's no artistic content in anything that is functional?

If a painting is used as a wall decoration, does that remove it artistic significance?

When my wife and I buy furniture, we don't buy stuff that isn't aesthetically satisfactory - which doesn't mean that we spend all that much. The chair that I'm sitting on was the broken - but fixable - one in a set of three that we got for $A12 (and spent another $A80 fixing the broken chair and replacing the tired padding. If we'd like any of the non-broken stuff on offer we would have paid quite a lot more and been perfectly happy to do so.

Nonsense.

Though a few skilled opinions are what actually matter.

I'll go along with that, to some extent. I personally don't much like most modern music, but there are occasional pieces in the modern idiom that I can understand and like, and there pieces of non- representational modern visual art that I can go for - though it took an educational lecture from the sister of a practicing abstract artist to cue me in to what I ought to be looking at.

But if you don't know enough understand what is going on, you won't envision a particularly meaningful scenario.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

On Aug 23, 11:32=A0pm, Bill Sloman wrote: ...snip...

There is always a beauty in a design well done.

Good for you! I am not of the "throw away" generation. You're talking with a guy that spent three hours to fix an $8 hair dryer.

To divert, to educate, to entertain

Always helps, but [to me] doesn't matter. After all, who died and left them boss?

Hurray! common ground!

Remember, the "c" is silent in RAP.

However, I finally understand why rap is popular...It is almost impossible to remove "character" from the sound. Not at all like the homogenized rubbish that purports to be music. Just like our food supply by the time it's stripped down and built back up, there' nothing left.

But, sadly, I DO understand.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert Macy

Negative manhours will help the budget also.

Reply to
Richard Henry