Mod US car radio to EUR

Hi,

I have a brand new Chrysler car radio with CD and Tape players. It is manufactured for the US so in the FM band it tunes only to odd fractions of the frequency 87.9, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc (US FM channels)..

Do these radios (this is actually Chrysler Part No P05091609AD) provide a possibility to reconfigure (with jumpers?) the FM tuning circuit to the European standard (with much finer tuning).

Thanks for any hints or info on this issue

best regards

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

I can't answer your question, but there's another issue here. IIRC US FM broadcasts use a different de-emphasis (50 microseconds in Europe, 75 microseconds in the US). Even if you manage to mod the receive frequency, the sound quality is likely to be rather poor.

It's possible the one chassis is made for both markets, so there may be an easy mod to change it over, like a link or circuit trace, but I couldn't comment further.

As a workaround for the channels being off frequency, it may be possible to adjust the PLL reference crystal trimmer to shift the frequency slightly. It won't make the display read correctly but at least it might mean it receives on frequency in Europe.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

"Geir Holmavatn" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

of

NO!

Reply to
Fastvale

Move to the USA and it will work fine.

of

Reply to
Albert Grennock

In practice, it's almost unnoticable. If you have a critical ear, a good speaker system and a quite room, it is, but who's going to have that in a car?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

You need to look here:-

Colin catronics australia

Reply to
CATronics

I forgot to say that the converter in my previous post will NOT modify the AM channel spacing. The USA has 10KHz spacing, Europe has 9KHz spacing. Colin

Reply to
CATronics

"Albert Grennock" skrev i melding news:oDz%e.5671$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

Good point, however as everything nowadays is MCU controlled I thought that maybe there was a setting somewhere.

Chrysler do export a significant part of their cars overseas and I thought that they maybe had left a hw or sw switch somewhere to deal with this fact.

Who makes these radios for Chrysler...?

Geir

.
Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

I agree with this. It's the frequency which is my primary concern. As everything nowadays is MCU controlled I thought that maybe there was a setting somewhere. All European FM tuners steps the whole band in 50 kHz increments.

Chrysler do export a significant part of their cars overseas and I thought that they maybe had left a hw or sw switch somewhere to deal with this fact.

Who makes these radios for Chrysler...?

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

FM

fact.

Not sure who makes them, but I would assume there's a jumper that can be changed somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet

I hate digital tuners. I miss having a knob to tune in to the station you want. Sometimes I will be between 2 stations on the same freq and cant get my digital tuner to stay on either of them... It constatnly tunes from one to the other.. Very aggrivating.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

"James Sweet" skrev i melding news:AIW%e.8978$UD6.8394@trnddc04...

Anyone else who have tips on how I can eventually find the OEM for Chrysler radios...?

Others who think there is a jumper setting for this (another one has already replied NO to the question).

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

"Fastvale" skrev i melding news:bnz%e.6637$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.fastwebnet.it...

Are you absolutely sure (by experience) or do you just think so?

Chrysler / Chev do export a significant portion of their production and I'm surprised if they have no provision to adapt their vehicles' equipment to local standards...

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

Chrysler

already

Is there an FCC ID number on it?

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" skrev i melding news:Pjp0f.214$zM5.154@trnddc02...

Unfortunately not.

This is mainly what is written on the label:

Chrysler Corporation Part no: P05091609AD Issue 1 Date Code 3174 Supplier 26777H S/N TZ1AA3174F0528 Some Dolby licensing stuff

2004.AP.November Assembled in Mexico

Thant's about all I see, any clue where I can go / who I can contact further..?

regards

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn