THese are cheap.

I think I'll get at least 2.. They only have 6, so I'll some one else a chance at it! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

"Jamie" wrote in message news:eJT3q.52406$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

A VW Jetta is less expensive.

Martin Riddle

If you don't have an immediate application for the second, the power supply pins make a nifty clamp diode.

I'm thinking some robot has been imagineering the prices.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well arrow must use the same robot...

Wouldn't like to blow one of those up!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Glad I am an analog guy. Although blowing up an amplifier with a bunch of large LDMOS parts will raise eyebrows in the accounting department.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

At least they have some in stock, unlike these ones:

Might take a while to finish the schematic, with 1,760 pins.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The real fun starts when you realize that it ain't working and that the reason is that a few BGA balls didn't catch. Of course, according to Murphy's law they are all scattered and somewhere in the middle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It doesn't really matter if they're in the middle or the edge. If your process is that poor you shouldn't be attempting BGAs at all, much less ones with 1700+ pins.

Reply to
krw

Looks fun to route!

Martin Riddle

1.00mm? That's huge! Shouldn't be too hard on 10-12 layers without blind vias (decoupling will be fun). With blind vias it should be a piece of cake. ;-)
Reply to
krw

I met some people at a trade show who make hardware logic simulators. Each board in their system had 64 Virtex chips, worth about $9K each.

John

No, high-end FPGAs have prices like that. Almost makes you want to start using wrist straps.

John

I suspect a carrier for this layout, just to get the decoupling right. The most expensive FPGA I have used was $240, but it was a TQPF package with 200 or so pins. Think it was the biggest device in the Altera MAX series, or whatever series it was before the MAX chips came out. ( you could do a Clearlogic mask with them) Requirements mandated a static design, no Micro or serial boot eeprom to load or run the code.

Martin Riddle

I designed in a couple of Virtex and Virtex-Es in FF-680 packages (also 1mm pitch), into a test system, around '98. There were no problems fanning the I/Os out and getting voltages in, in six layers. Decoupling wasn't too bad because the FF680 package had a big hole the ball pattern. They were $600, at the time.

In '07 I did a few designs with Virtex-2s and 4s. They were in the $3K, each, ballpark (don't remember the package - I wasn't supposed to be playing with hardware). I thought that was a bit much for what I was doing (HD video camera and some 2-D filters), until I got the skinny on the rest of the system. The CCDs (3-each) were $5K and the prism in front was $45K. Needless to say, it was a DOD job. ;-)

My last "FPGA" (they call it a CPLD but it has more of an FPGA architecture) was a $2.50 MAX-II (240 macro-cells). ;-) I'll likely stick with Altera from now on (price and software), though there are some interesting Actel parts (Fusion).

Reply to
krw

Think I'll just order a bunch of samples....

...then sell them and retire

boB

Reply to
boB

If you're talking about FPGAs, sure there are a lot that aren't stocked. My bet is that there are some that aren't even made (until someone asks). Other things, DigiKey does a pretty good job at stocking (often at absurd prices, though sometimes not so).

Reply to
krw