Thinking about going back to doing eng

I am thinking of going back and finishing a electronics engineering degree. I am in Australia. Any comments, suggestions? Mick C

Reply to
Mick

Dont waste your time unless you want to work overseas.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Then again - I hear (from a fellow engineer) there is only 2 percent unemployment of engineers in Australia.

Best you check with the Institue of Engineers they should have accurate figures.

Yes - for some electronics and electrial work there is more oportunity oversea..... but still some electronics design in Australia.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

So you want an early morning pop quiz and late afternoon lab all the rest of the days of your life?

Jim

-- "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with chocolate in one hand and wine in the other, loudly proclaiming 'WOO HOO What a Ride!'"

--Unknown

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

"The Real Andy"

** Like where ?

Nauru or Botswana Land ??

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Why are you so negative? It's looking like 2007 is going to be one of my "banner" years!

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

RMIT in Melbourne ??

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Go self taught and start your own company.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

On Jun 29, 10:45?am, Jim Thompson

I read or heard about a famous study recently (though I don't recall any of the specifics...)

It followed a few hundred Ivy-League Grads though the course of their careers, and over the course of a couple decades.

It turned out that a suprising and statistically significant number of Millionaires in this group did not actually make their millions doing whatever it was they went to school for. They got it doing what they enjoyed.

So, if your passion is EE, that's a plus. If your passion is owning and operating your own business, that's a plus -- but they are not necessarily correlated. Jim seems to have the best of both worlds.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Yes. Check with Phil.

Reply to
Don Bowey

If you like school and can afford it, then go for it. :-)

Although these days, if you can afford to go to school, you should practically be able to retire. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

WHERE is "The Real Andy"? Aussie?

My bad year was last year... about 10% of normal income :-(

But now I'm having to put customers in queue.

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but you're 'overseas'. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Jeezus, I didn't expect that sort of response.

How are u guys off for work? Mick C

Reply to
Mick

Better than climbing through peoples roofs (over dead rats) for a living atm. Mick C

Reply to
Mick

Well I was thinking Deakin, where I would be able to finish off what Ive done so far. RMIT is a hole, went there for a short course, was not impressed. Mick C

Reply to
Mick

I was last there in 1986.

...Jim Thompson

Well I should be so harsh, but the whole atmosphere was of a disused car lot. Mick C

Reply to
Mick

You got it. I write software now. Much better paying in AU.

Reply to
The Real Andy

degree.

If you really want to make it as an EE learn to speak Chinese and then enjoy living in squalor in a one room flat.

Reply to
Mr. Wizard