The Tesla is SLOOOOOWWWWWWWW!

Under the Tesla is Fast thread I posited the question of what the speed would be of an EV run in the Cannonball Run (coast to coast speed run). NO ONE answered! Not even the hardcore EV fanatics who know everything about EVERYTHING. So, I looked it up: the EV record for the Cannonball Run is held by a Tesla at 51 h 47 m with an average speed of 56 mph:

current fossil fuel record is HALF of that time at 25 h 39 m with an average speed of 110 mph:

Flyguy

You just don't appreciate the charm of insane acceleration alternated with frantic braking and then waiting a couple of hours to charge. For FREE!

And you don't understand how hip it is to drive an ugly car that occasionally locks you out and catches fire.

Somebody needs to work on in-flight recharging, a KC-135 on wheels... Too bad wireless power transmission isn't ready for prime time.

Reply to
rbowman

AFAIK there's no officially accredited body that sanctions such a race and to even get a decent time you have to break most every traffic law in the book, so who cares? The whole endeavor seems ripe for fraud in the first place.

Reply to
bitrex

Insane acceleration followed by frantic braking is pretty much what NASCAR is..in motorsport, at least, that's how you have to drive to get the best times.

Lots of people seem to love NASCAR can't say I really get a big thrill out of watching cars go 'round in a circle though

Reply to
bitrex

I try to understand Larkin's BEV phobia and I can't figure it out. He used to complain that he couldn't drive the round trip to a ski lodge in Truckee in a BEV and was shown wrong. He rages against the wind any time BEVs are mentioned. "You kids get off my lawn!"

He also talks about how he likes the power of his Audi, but denigrates the power of many BEVs.

This guy has some mental issues, for sure. But as a friend who is a nurse occasionally working the psych ward would say, "But highly functioning".

I hope he's still posting here in 15 years when he can't find gas for his carbon spewing engine. It will be funny to hear him justify how much better BEVs are.

Reply to
Ricky

To Safeway?

I don't understand it either, but then I don't understand basketball or football either. Maybe nascar is just a big beer blast.

Mid-air refueling/recharging of electric airplanes would be fun.

Cannonball: "Flat out between tickets."

And there's no rules, right. I can beat it if i can attach solid rocket booster on my Leaf. Give me a few more years to work on it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I think you should do this as soon as possible. Maybe then you will get a real BEV.

Reply to
Ricky

Nah, in motorsports! To get the best times around a track you have to either be accelerating or decelerating, "do the math." No coasting! Or at least as little as possible, maybe right at the apex of a turn, idk.

But flooring it out of turns, accelerating down the straight, then jamming on the brakes (at just the right time) into a turn and then (at just the right time) flooring it back out of the turn is basically what a time trial is. When there other cars obviously you have to avoid hitting them firstly, but that's the ideal

I expect the beer helps definitely

Reply to
bitrex

I guess whether it results in the best time to Safeway depends on how much your route resembles a rally track

Reply to
bitrex

Right. And nobody in a "no rules" race who is comfortable with the safety-to-others implications of doing well over 100 mph on public roads where people are driving totally oblivious that you're in a race would ever fudge with their times, right? right?

I'd go to jail if I dressed up like a police officer to steal a loaf of bread, I definitely don't care about some jamokes with money to burn bragging about dressing their car up like a cruiser, it's dumb. Go enter and win a real race!

Reply to
bitrex

I feel about it about the same as I do about these jamokes:

Why not take your Dad's money and your Daddy's car and enter a real race? Nobody thinks you're cool.

Reply to
bitrex

they also do road courses, though land yachtes that only just this year figured out that technology has evolved since the 70's is more spectacular than fast when they need to brake and turn

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

This is an engineer's kinda race:

bitrex

sure, and standing right next to the track when +30 ginormous V8s at flat chat pass at 200mph I'm sure is quite the visceral experience

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There used to be a sprint car track near where I grew up I used to go to as a kid, don't know if there's a similar sport in Europe but aside from some modern safety equipment like the modern multi-point harnesses, roll cages and fuel bladders these cars are seriously bare bones:

Sort of like something from the movie "Mad Max"

Reply to
bitrex

You didn't even read your own link. The EV record is a bit faster than that at 42:52.

"In October 2021, the EV record was broken twice in the same rented 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range.[59] The first drive, from Los Angeles to New York City, by Ryan Levenson and Will Wood, lowered the EV record to 42:52.[60] The second drive occurred on October 22, 2021, leaving from the Red Ball Garage in Manhattan at 11:00am and arriving at the Portifino Inn in Redondo Beach, CA 42 hours, 17 minutes later."

But ok, you win. The next time I need to do a coast to coast speed run I'll use a gasoline vehicle.

kw

Reply to
ke...