Tesla has been FAKING range estimates

Flyguy

Why don't they just change the scaling of the odometer?

When the Tesla semi starts getting used, truck drivers won't be so wussy as the car owners. Don't mess with truck drivers.

What do you mean by "wussy"? Is that actually expecting the performance that the car tells you?

Reply to
Flyguy

Here is an example of a severely underperforming EV, this time a Ford pickup:

Flyguy

They haven't been faking anything. They've just set their gear to show an optimistic estimate of how far you could get if you didn't driver there all that fast.

That's just the free market serving you in a way that makes the product look better than it is. Do you want a government mandated "truth in range estimate" regulation? It's what you are asking for.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

AFAIAA, all these manufacturers quote figures for ideal conditions. Consequently, if you go up a hill, you'll get less mileage. There are many other examples. As electronic designers, no one here should be unfamiliar with the 'ideal' concept. As an aside, someone told me the other day that BMW are falling out of love with EVs due to lack of infrastructure and concerns over battery recycling and are switching production back to ICE cars.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No automaker gives mileage figures for "ideal" conditions. The government has driving conditions defined and everyone uses the same conditions. It has been this way for ICE for decades and is no different for BEVs.

It's rather funny that anyone things an automaker is "switching" back to ICE. Everyone is converting to BEVs as fast as they can ramp up. It's just that some automakers don't make cars that are as good as other brands, regardless of the hype.

Reply to
Ricky

Its more complicated than it might seem.. For example:

John Walliker

yep, they why they all have silly mileage figures like "up to 213.7 miles"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Most people actually say something and provide a link to help. Did you have anything to say?

Reply to
Ricky

I have not seen that. Can you give an example that is not a marketing claim?

Reply to
Ricky

Yes, they have obviously done their sums and worked out that the EV revolution will take decades, despite all the hype, so are hedging their bets on ICE being around for a long time yet.

The media are at last starting to wake up to the fact that the net zero thing isn't going to happen any time soon. Why ?: Because it's targets are not deliverable. The ex CEO of UK National Grid in the press, DT, from memory, saying that the required infrastructure, generation, network, substations and individual properties will all need a major upgrade, costing anything up to a trillion and taking

20-30 years to get in place.

Just need the government now, to wake up from their mass psychosis and we might actually make some progress.

As for EV's, great idea, but call me when they are just as effective and match price with similar ICE models. Still in first generation, unfortunately. when all the mistakes are made to fund the next generation...

Chris

Reply to
chrisq

Should at least give expected range under various climate conditions. Be honest about the fact that range suffers in winter conditions, exacerbated further by the need for internal heating.

Many complaints at present and growing awareness of the limitations of the current models. It will take a revolution in battery tech to really make it work, just for starters...

Chris

Reply to
chrisq

We are know the actual mileage is a great deal less than marketed mileage. Battery capacity in KWhr is a better indicator. Just multiple it by around 3.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Hey Bozo, "optimism" is just another word for "FAKED", otherwise WHY did they switch back to a realistic estimate at half full?

Sure, why not have "optimistic" estimates of the strength of wood and steel - that would sure cut construction costs! The conversation changes, however, when Tesla actively CANCELS service appointments with customers concerning range issues. This IS FRAUD!

Reply to
Flyguy

I suggest you take a poll and ask the general public what a KWHr is, even spell it out: kilowatt hour, and see how many people can answer (correctly). I expect it to be in the neighborhood of 1 in 10 to, more likely, 1 in 100. People, other other hand, understand "miles."

Reply to
Flyguy

Right, and additionally, usable KWh depends on driving style, since a lower power results in lower resistive and other losses in the battery and thus, less wasted power than foot to the metal style.

ICE tech has had 100+ years of development and is a very tough act to beat, or even equal...

Chris

Reply to
chrisq

That is probably true for the UK. But, in countries with first world infrastructure, it will require relatively little investment in the grid. Mostly it will just be the addition of 30A, 240V charge points, which can already be accommodated in the vast majority of homes.

I get that you don't know much about the topic, because you clearly, have never looked at it from a realistic perspective. Once you stop promoting all the hype, and look at the issues realistically, you will see BEVs are immensely practical and a significant advancement over ICE vehicles.

Reply to
Ricky

You continue to show that you don't understand BEVs. It is not "winter conditions" that reduces range, it is cold batteries. Otherwise, the winter range is the same. The battery can be kept warm by charging just prior to starting out, at no extra cost! Then you have the full range on every trip.

Do you understand that?

Reply to
Ricky

Hybrids have just one issue. They don't solve any problems we care about. The real problem is CO2 production. It needs to go to zero. Cutting CO2 production from cars in half is pointless. Hybrids use an ICE to charge the battery which powers the electric motor. So, in many ways, they are the worst possible solution.

I don't know how anyone could fail to understand this.

Reply to
Ricky