EV Battery Bank bad design

This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:t70110$g83$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

I cannot believe that all of you EV folks did not comment on this.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Would you like to see images of gasoline vehicles burning? What is your point? They put batteries in a bus and it burned up. What's your point?

Reply to
Ricky

I never look at random youtube links, unless they're accompanied by some rationale for doing that, e.g. "A UFO photobombs an episode of <scotty kilmer or Dan Carlin or somebody> about 8 minutes in."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ricky snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

WTF is the point of your stupid response?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Any energy containing system has the potential to release that energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly manufactured.

What makes you think this one had a bad design?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sylvia Else snipped-for-privacy@email.invalid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Each "cell" in the battery at this size level should have had monitoring circuitry to cut it out of an overload condition. So the overload should have "sparked" a massive shutdown, not a massive meltdown.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

We don't really know this situation. In case of the Bolt, manufacturing deflect causes short of a powerful cell. Cutting it off won't help. Smaller cells are safer in this regard. 18650 can be shorted and destroyed, but not exploded.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Battery makers are trying to cut costs, and one way to do that is through larger cell sizes. I think VW, or BMW, not sure which, uses a cell about the size of a cigar box. I believe this also lets them give the cell more integrity without lowering the specific energy.

Reply to
Ricky

GM/Bolt cells are long thin rectangular pouch; so, in theory, should have better heat dissipation, other than the manufacturing defect. We have to give them credit for doing the right thing to recall (vehicle), replace (battery) and retool (factory). Let's wait and see.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Oh, I can barely wait! It's like trying to get to sleep on the night before Christmas!

Reply to
Ricky