the sleet hits the fan in Texas

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 3:50:08 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com w rote:

ion years left,

rature other than over-warm.

reme cold does kill more people than extreme heat waves.

ming continues to push average temperatures up, there will be more of them. Since climate change produces more extreme weather - both hot and cold - e xtreme cold may continue to kill more people than really bad heat waves (an d the forest fires that tend to come with them) but that's no reason not to want to get slow down and reverse anthropogenic global warming, no matter how much money the fossil carbon extraction industry spends on lying propag anda about the subject.

rather than skiving off by dropping dead.

lation has tripled during my lifetime.

But Europe's population has stabilised, and would be dropping if it wasn't for immigration. The demographic transition will probably happen everywhere else as soon as we get enough technology transfer.

Some people living quite bit longer might pose a problem, but there are lot s of ways of ending up dead and medical science isn't going to beat all tha t many of them.

prit is the global population growth.

Not really. When the US - with about 5% of the world's population - emits 2

5% of the world's CO2 - it's fairly clear that population per se isn't the real problem. Technically, we can rework our technology so that we can get just as much energy without burning any fossil carbon as fuel. It is taking a while, and all the people who are currently making a lot of money out d igging up fossil carbon and selling it as fuel are spending quite a bit of their income on slowing it down as much as possible, but it is happening.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The worst mistake was exporting ways to reduce infant mortality but simultaneously failed to export family planning.

Some Western countries (such as the USA) even actively tried to inhibit exporting family planning.

Reply to
upsidedown

On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 7:25:52 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com w rote:

ave

an, rather than skiving off by dropping dead.

opulation has tripled during my lifetime.

't for immigration. The demographic transition will probably happen everywh ere else as soon as we get enough technology transfer.

ltaneously failed to export family planning.

exporting family planning.

Religious nutters are a fact of life. The US does seem to be over-endowed w ith them.

Western family planning products are widely available in the third world - if you can afford them. Some of the less technically demanding technology h as been picked up in third world countries, and there is local manufacture . You have to educate young women to roughly high school level to get good take-up, and that's expensive (by third world standards) and can upset loca l religious nutters. The Taliban in Afghanistan hate it, and shoot people t o discourage it.

The demographic transition takes work - mostly local - but I'm hopeful that it will happen sooner rather than later.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes. That was pointed out by Isaac Asimov back in the early 70's or maybe earlier.

Reply to
John S

Are you considering that most electric heating uses a heat pump that moves heat rather than just generate it directly?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

It is a very nice planet. And getting better.

It is now called "climate weirding." I call it bad metrology.

As long as it doesn't affect the skiing. So far, it hasn't.

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

st their pricing based upon some crazy demand formula. They are at this tim e charging $9,000 per MWh, which I assume means $9 per kWh, something that should be around $0.10 in round numbers. Now people are getting HUGE bills, to the tune of thousands $$$- per month! And some of these people don't ev en have power!

If you are going to rob people in Texas, you need to be real polite about i t. They got guns down there big time.

I just read about a shoot out in a New Orleans gun store. The guy's family says he would not have started it, but the reports are he didn't like havi ng to unload his weapon in the store and started shooting people. Others f ired back (I guess there were loaded weapons in the store anyway) resulting in three dead. One report I read the other day said one victim died by th e doorway making it sound like she wasn't even in the store, but today the new reports only talk about victims in the gun shop.

I wonder who will need to pay for the property damages? If a bystander is shot by one of those returning fire, will there be repercussions?

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

First it was global warming - that didn't pan out when there were long stretches of stable temperatures but CO2 kept going up.

Then it was Climate Change - but the climate has always been changing, that wasn't exactly news.

Now Climate Weirding? That is just trying to lump any weather system under CO2 effects. They are getting desperate. Oh, and now the story is we have only 9 years to fix things. Previously it was always ten years, or twenty...haven't people noticed that the rate of hurricanes, tornadoes, etc still hasn't increased according to the NHC's own records?

I know Mr. Sloman will call me a denier (nice to lump me with the Holocaust Deniers - a sleazy bunch of idiots - which is a poor thing to do when your arguments haven't proof), and while that is his free speach right, I just wonder how he explains the NOAA statistics...

I am disappointed that this chart hasn't been updated since 2004.

There is historical info elsewhere on the site, but the compiled data makes it easier to see what happened in simple visual formats.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

It has been progressing for decades. We're causing it by our actions, and

The weird changes include the 2010 heat wave in Russia and flooding in Pakistan, due to a shift in the jet stream... so there's nothing 'now' about weirdness.

The only global feature you can observe is your own gravitational mass; every part of the globe has different characteristics, so an entire global monitoring network is essential to any detailed weather predictions, and that's NOT bad metrology, just a difficult problem.

It was, and is, real and present. Glacier melt, polar ice vanishing, are NOT difficult to observe.

It was clarification, that your skin temperature wasn't the issue to be concerned about, and... some folk just don't want clarity.

We're all tired of denial. That stopped being rational in the early 1990s.

Reply to
whit3rd

The repercussions will be a change of laws requiring people to keep their guns loaded while in a gun shop, and require innocent bystanders to be armed at all times. Don't you realise the only way to reduce gun death is to make sure even more people are armed?

(Note to DecadentLinux - that was sarcasm.)

Reply to
David Brown

on years left,

ature other than over-warm.

reme cold does kill more people than extreme heat waves.

ming continues to push average temperatures up, there will be more of them. Since climate change produces more extreme weather - both hot and cold - e xtreme cold may continue to kill more people than really bad heat waves (an d the forest fires that tend to come with them) but that's no reason not to want to get slow down and reverse anthropogenic global warming, no matter how much money the fossil carbon extraction industry spends on lying propag anda about the subject.

If you think that anthropogenic global warming is making the planet better. John Larkin does, but he is channeling climate change denial propaganda.

it may certainly come about and if it does, I believe it will not be good for those living with the consequences, like my grankids etc...

It might be a bad way of describing unusual meteorological events (which be come more frequent as the average global surface temoearute creeps up).

tretches of stable temperatures but CO2 kept going up.

There weren't. There were stretches when the usual more or less cyclic feat ures (like the El Nino/La Nina alternation) appeared to oppose the underlyi ng warming trend., and the climate change denial propaganda creeps went nut s about it, but there wasn't anything stable about it.

at wasn't exactly news.

er CO2 effects. They are getting desperate. Oh, and now the story is we hav e only 9 years to fix things. Previously it was always ten years, or twent y...haven't people noticed that the rate of hurricanes, tornadoes, etc sti ll hasn't increased according to the NHC's own records?

Nobody knows enough about how tornado's are formed to have any clear idea w hether global warming will make a difference to their number an d intensity . Hurricanes are likely to become more intense (but no more frequent) but the ir numbers from year to year are so erratic that the signal is too noisy to tell us much.

ust Deniers - a sleazy bunch of idiots - which is a poor thing to do when your arguments haven't proof), and while that is his free speech right.

It's Dr. Sloman, and the Ph.D. was in physical chemistry, which means that I do know a bit (not all tat much ) about the science involved. I do know q uite enough to be aware that you regularly post climate change denial prop aganda. It's not as pathological as going in for Holocaust denial , but it does make you a gullible twit.

I just wonder how he explains the NOAA statistics...

Hurricane numbers have always been erratic. Trying to explain a sequence o f more or less random numbers is a waste of time.

Actually 2005, when it published. These numbers tend to taken from publishe d scientific papers, Publication is a chore, and journals don't like publis hing up-dates. Climate change denial sites are even less enthusiastic about keeping up to date.

Here's a more recent report

kes it easier to see what happened in simple visual formats.

Which mainly that hurricane numbers are small and erratic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I recall the ball busting undergraduate chemistry class was p-chem. I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Honk if you passed p-chem".

In EE it was stochastic processes I seem to recall.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Oh, don't stop with an American English term; go look up a few dozen other languages, and find something you really like. The effect is global, after all.

How about "hali ya hewa ya kushangaza"? ... or maybe "???? ?? ? ????"

... and John Larkin has gone and read the thing his fish came wrapped in, a gain. Boring.

Reply to
whit3rd

how well do heat pumps work in freezing temps from global warming?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:06:06 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

We'll trim the global warming BS because then yours is a religious question.

Last year I replaced a SEER 9 central heatpump with 3 SEER 29 mini-split heat pumps, one for each room. The EER is BTUs moved/watts used. Vastly more efficient to spin a gas turbine to drive units like these. The S is a seasonal fudge factor.

The use the revolutionary relatively new R410 refrigerant blend. My units are spec'd to operate to -5 deg F while still producing very warm air.

I still have a propane unvented heater in case the power goes out and my whole house generator fails to start for some reason but I've yet to need to use it. It got down to -1 deg F a few weeks ago and the mini-splits kept on truckin'.

Another benefit is the effect on my generator. The inrush surg from my 2.5 ton heat pump would almost stall my 12kVA automatic generator. The mini-splits use variable speed compressors and fans. I can barely hear the generator change pitch when the 19kBTU mini-split that conditions my great room and kitchen starts.

My next project is to convert my resistance water heater into a geothermal heat pump-heated water heater. Since I cook on an induction range, all resistive loads will be gone from my place except the oven and the little bathroom heater.

John

Reply to
neonjohn
[snip]

That induction range must present a real resistance to the power system when loaded by heating pots, or it could not cook your dinner. Do you have a range (induction stovetop plus resistive oven) or separate units?

As for the oven, how powerful is the broiler?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Two years ago I let my now ex-wife talk me into a horrible mistake. I had the 1955 model Whirlpool range Dad bought Mom to celebrate my birth. Still worked perfectly. She had to have a flat top. So I got her one. The horrible mistake was not having the delivery boys put the old stove in the basement instead of letting them haul it off.

I hate that flat-top. It throws a massive amount of heat out into the kitchen. Doesn't matter now. 2 weeks out of warranty the electronic control board burned out and Lowe's can't seem to find the extended warranty I bought.

So now 4 1800 watt induction ranges sit on the flat top and are wired into the range outlet. The put out almost no heat out in the room and will boil a pot of water faster than the biggest burner on the flattop would. They're almost too powerful. I normally fry on a power setting of 3. Only to fast boil water do I use 10.

I have a separate 3500 watt, 240 volt range that I use on my porch/patio. I have a 10 gallon magnetic stainless pot that I use for large shrimp boils or when a friend from N'awleans comes up, a crawdad boil.

The old Whirlpool was wonderful. Exposed coiled elements that got hot practically instantly for broiling. And it turned both elements on for preheat which took about 3 minutes. This new sorry POS takes over

10 minutes to preheat and the heat profile is erratic. I have to move food around during cooking to get a uniform cook.

I took out the control board and gave it a looking-at. It used on-off proportional control with a cycle time of 10 seconds. Instead of using thyristors, they use very tiny relays, rated for 15 amps but a cycle life of only 5000 operations. They designed it to fail. A new board costs $400.

I'm doing my best not to buy any white goods containing electronics. I had to look a long time to find a replacement refrigerator with a mechanical defrost timer.

I did have to buy a new washing machine after the 1955 model Whirlpool's gearbox finally wore out a shaft exit enough to leak oil.

I couldn't find a washer without electronics so I've videoed the various operating modes. Then as soon as I get out a couple of commercial jobs, I'm going to design a rugged replacement control board for it.

Have you seen what the damn government has done to water heaters? I thought I'd install a replacement propane one to take that load off my generator. Damn! $800 at Lowe's and it has so much electronics on it, it looks like a space craft or something.

Damn! John

Reply to
neonjohn

ote:

is

quately

eep

their energy from oil, coal, gas and nuclear

and we were going back and forth until it was made clear that here the com mon heating fuel is electricity and in Germany it was petroleum!

but it varies a lot by region... this is a large country after all.

:

less

if

Did you actually my post? What was the context of the statement? "Electri c heating". If you are in a climate zone where a heat pump is not practica l, there are better alternatives than straight electric resistance heating so it is very rare. But in much of the US heat pumps are very practical an d can save a lot of fuel costs compared to most other fuels. The only one I know of that is better is natural gas as the fuel costs are low and likel y will stay that way for some time to come.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

R410 has been in use for over 25 years.

What are your heat pump connected to? Clearly nothing in texas is rated to

-1F. I figured they'd fire up some BBQ for heat, but I guess not.

induction ranges are pretty nifty.

Are you the alaska fellow cut off from the world 6 months at a time?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader