the sleet hits the fan in Texas

te:

uately

ep

heir energy from oil, coal, gas and nuclear

and we were going back and forth until it was made clear that here the comm on heating fuel is electricity and in Germany it was petroleum!

ut it varies a lot by region... this is a large country after all.

ess

Reverse cycle air-conditioning is remarkably efficient. When you need cooli ng in summer, you don't need all that much heating in winter, and it is the way to go. Getting enough heat to keep the house warm when it is snowing o utside calls for big and expensive heat pumps, or a better insulated - "sup er-imsulated" - house.

e explosions, and potential dangers during earthquake. The local leaders ar e scare of gas lines. There are make it difficult or outright banning gas f or new constructions.

Gas pipes that can break during an earthquake are a very real danger during an earthquake. Houses falling down are bad enough, and gas flares do make things even worse.

This strikes me as a sensible precaution.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ralph Mowery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

There have been huge solar power 'farms' in northern Mexico along the Texas border for decades... that feed northward. IOW US.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I like spiders too. Many are pretty - and all are pretty amazing.

Whenever a discussion in the group gets too heated, let's change the subject to spiders :-)

Reply to
David Brown

I like spiders. I also like dragon flies and cicada killers. They, too, eat other bugs which includes mosquitoes. And are harmless to humans. We need them all.

Reply to
John S

The latest from this fiasco is that crap power company is allowed to adjust their pricing based upon some crazy demand formula. They are at this time charging $9,000 per MWh, which I assume means $9 per kWh, something that sh ould be around $0.10 in round numbers. Now people are getting HUGE bills, t o the tune of thousands $$$- per month! And some of these people don't even have power!

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

John S wrote in news:s0r1ll$fc6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My picture collection also includes dragonflies and even a pink Preying Mantis.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Or octopuses. Or bread pudding recipes.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

California has a similar state-wide power control system designed by politicians. Things were better when PG&E was a monolopy.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Octopuses are cool. So too are nudibranch

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Octopuses are also wonderful creatures, and worth chatting about.

As for bread pudding recipes, that's a field I have to admit to knowing nothing about. (I don't know any recipes for octopuses either.)

Reply to
David Brown

I've seen videos of research indicating that octopuses are possibly one of the most intelligent creatures on earth.

Reply to
John S

The challenge is to properly set the custard without overheating it, which makes it clump up. So you'd have to try a couple of batches in your own oven to get the timing right. You can do it by feel, but that takes practice too. You have to eat your failures.

The finest restaurants in New Orleans offer bread pudding for dessert, usually with a "hard sauce." Mine is better.

They also like to do flaming things, which are dramatic but mostly silly. It's a sin to burn up perfectly good rum.

Octopus is kinda rubbery and not very tasty. Stick to squid.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

David Brown wrote in news:s0re03$eid$1@dont- email.me:

8 or is it 9 brains?
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

One main brain and eight tentacle controllers.

Reply to
Dennis

One word, Cuttlefish. GH

Reply to
George Herold

Cuttlefish are the same family (cephalopods) as octopuses, squids and nautilus.

Many members of the group are far more intelligent than other invertebrates. What makes them particularly interesting for scientists is that their intelligence is very different from that of dolphins, rats, crows, apes, and other animals that solve problems or use tools. Amongst other things, their memory is very poor - an octopus might figure out how to screw the lid off a jar to get food, but the next day it will have forgotten how to do it and start from scratch. (Compare that to goldfish, which have been known to remember people over a period of decades.)

Reply to
David Brown

I live at the perfect time to be alive I think...

Global warming, Climate change or whatever you (or they) want to call it may certainly come about and if it does, I believe it will not be good for those living with the consequences, like my grankids etc...

I understand there may be LOTS of bugs,which I do not like.

But I only have maybe 20 to 30 more years here and probably won't have to deal with it myself too much. I like it warm.

Perfect time to be an old man.

Reply to
boB

rote:

years left,

ure other than over-warm.

e cold does kill more people than extreme heat waves.

g continues to push average temperatures up, there will be more of them. Si nce climate change produces more extreme weather - both hot and cold - extr eme cold may continue to kill more people than really bad heat waves (and t he forest fires that tend to come with them) but that's no reason not to wa nt to get slow down and reverse anthropogenic global warming, no matter how much money the fossil carbon extraction industry spends on lying propagand a about the subject.

Unless medical science works out how to let you become a much older man, ra ther than skiving off by dropping dead.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

With current global birth rates, that would be a catastrophe. Currently the population growth is very fast. For instance the human population has tripled during my lifetime.

Climate alarmists worry about increased CO2 emissions, while the real culprit is the global population growth.

Reply to
upsidedown

Yep! We're far too many. But don't worry, if we can't rein in ourselves, mother Earth will deal with us. We won't like it nearly as much though.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman