That state of metric conversion in the US

compared to >'C.

F is perfectly linear, it just has a different slope than C.

--
JF
Reply to

You really are a dumbass.

Reply to
krw

free trade started and US goods appeared cheaper as did any food by the pound rather than kg or 2.2lb.

Why not just require packaging to be in metric units?

conversant in millimeters and km

compared to 'C.

Huh?!

to metric for Americans, so they shall be in their archaic units of measure for a long time.

There are no benefits for 99% of the population. It's not going to happen.

Reply to
krw

compared to 'C.

Fahrenheit could be considered more modern conceptually than Celsius because it's based on a 2^6 binary division between two arbitrary temperatures (the freezing point of water and human body temperature)-- rather than the old fashioned base-10 division between two arbitrary temperatures of Celsius.

It's also more sensible for measuring the temperature of rooms because a 1°F change isn't noticeable by most people, whereas a resolution of

1°C is a bit coarse.

(-4°C with winds of 39km/h here)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

compared to >'C.

Different intercept too. Which causes confusion with conversions since a delta-T of one is just a ratio of the delta-T of the other, but absolute temperaturs have to have another term in there.

Eg. 100 degrees per second F = 55.556 degrees per second C

100 degrees F = 37.778 degrees C

If everyone used Kelvin this problem could be avoided.

A hot day could be 313K, a very cold day might be 250 or 260K. Preheat the oven to 450K.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

ers compared to 'C.

The Fahrenheit temperature scale was created for manufacturability. In orde r to calibrate his alcohol thermometer, he stuck it an ice bath and under h is arm. That gave him a two point calibration. He then divided the region i n half and then in half again and so on until it was divided into 64 parts. The thermometer worked below freezing so he added another 32 divisions bel ow that. Because of errors in Fahrenheit's thermometer body temperature end ed up at 96 degrees.

Reply to
wanderer

rs compared to >'C.

My pet peeve is low temperatures reported in F or C. "Scientists today reported blah blah blah at ? 450 F.?

It makes no sense. Once we?re talking about science then Kelvin is the only temperature scale, and everyone should know it. Temperature is energy, (or average energy per degree of freedom.) both are positive definite.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Germans should take a look at their own license plates. Their license plates often have a lot of text in them. Some should watch out when driving in the Netherlands. I once saw a car which said (translated to English) F... me. Just fill in the dots :-)

Talking about license plates... my wife managed to get rid of the front license plate on the highway! Something whirled up from behind the car driving in front of us and crashed into the front or our car ripping the license plate off.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

calibrate his alcohol thermometer, he stuck it an ice bath and under his arm.

then in half again and so on until it was divided into 64 parts. The thermometer

errors in Fahrenheit's thermometer body temperature ended up at 96 degrees.

More than you likely ever wanted to know:-

Spehro Pefhany

Interestingly the inch was rounded to 25.4mm for easier metric conversion partly because in the US and the UK they had different inches. So in a way the inch is already metric.

But it depends on what you are used to. Back in the old days when all components where specified in inches I mostly used mils when designing PCBs. It actually took me some time to switch to the metric system for PCB design :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

--- It's amazing to me that someone who professes to more than a modicum of intelligence has but one rebut at his disposal.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
Indeed, but thermometers would look weird for a while.
Reply to

The front one is a waste, anyway. Many states got rid of them eons ago, if they ever had them.

Reply to
krw

It's not a revelation to anyone that the smallest fact would be amazing to you.

Reply to
krw

--
Eons ago?
Reply to

Because 10/64s is larger than 9/64s. This sort of thing is common for construction and woodworking. Just forget the denominator and use the numerator; less to remember.

Reply to
krw

Do you *really* have to demonstrate exactly how big of a dumbass you are, with every post? Shoo, loon.

Reply to
krw

Maybe it was from the small town in Austria, ....ing? :-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

--
That's true, but so far all you've been is gross.
Reply to

Gross? What a dumbass. You can stop proving my point any time.

Reply to
krw