That state of metric conversion in the US

rote:

ny

all

ck

ally ESD

Grin, 'retro' is almost my middle name. (The design is ~ 10 years old.... but still.)

George H.

George Herold

This is an electronics design discussion group. Do you design electronics? If this were a tennis discussion group, it would be reasonable to ask if you play tennis.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Why not make it functional and beautiful?

Threads drift sometimes. I didn't fork the discussion to talk about PC boards, although the Imperial/metric dimension issue is very relevant to PC board design, and electronic design is our topic.

DOS?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There was a discussion going on and out of the blue you ask people to show their boards. Then you say, PCBs are an art form. Ok, fine, that may be OT within the group, but it is a non-sequitur in a discussion.

No problem, I just have no idea why you take these left turns sometimes.

Rick

PS I am sure someone will make a joke about "left turns".

--

Rick
Reply to

Why are PC boards OT here? And why wouldn't people be interested in seeing some actual designs? They don't call it "artwork" without a reason.

Branching, nonlinear thinking. That's where ideas come from. Lots of people are hostile to ideas.

And isn't a discussion group about discussing things?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Can't you count? I said pick two. It can be both of those, but you can't optimize *all* parameters. In this case most of my stuff is so packed onto the board that there is not the option of making it "beautiful". I was lucky to get some of the *on* the board.

Then why did you fork the discussion? You so talk in circles that I have no idea what you say half the time. It's often like you just enjoy hearing yourself type.

No, CPM.

--

Rick
Reply to

...and some are far worse; Democrats.

Reply to
krw

Nearer 18% less, Shirley?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

ESD

Nice layout.

Here's a thru-hole, green-and-white board I did for myself. It's the acquisition and control front-end of my cabin automation system.

I did it thru-hole so it would be easier to fix or modify out in the wilderness.

I combined that with a commercial PIC-based uP board and a mini-ITX computer.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

An equal number are 102.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

How are you going to sustain a discussion group if nobody says anything?

No layouts in the last 20 years or so?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I see why so many people have a problem with you. By "here" I am talking about this thread. You clearly didn't really read my comment or you just choose to ignore it in your reply.

Yes, indeed. But a thread is about a given topic and you are very good at hijacking. You also never trim your posts and there are many other things about the way you use these groups which makes them less than pleasant for others. Not the least is the bickering you seem to enjoy taking part in.

--

Rick
Reply to

You seem to have joined the contingent of old hens who don't have anything to say about electronics, and mostly whine about people who do.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

He makes curly-Q turns.

Reply to
josephkk

So it's 1/sqrt(k) feet per nanosecond.

Or 12/sqrt(k) inches per ns.

Depends on board material, rather than construction per se.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Stripline velocity goes as 1/rootK, but microstrip is part epoxy, part air, so it's more complex.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Contrary to your mantra about "Old Hennery" being practiced by those
who have nothing to say about electronics, those whom you accuse are
quite well versed in the art, and quite vocal - in terms of supplying
schematics, simulations, circuit descriptions, etc. - when topics
which interest them come up.

You, of course, try to keep all the limelight perpetually shining on
you alone, and anything which casts a shadow on you - including
well-deserved criticism - is met with accusations which are designed
to belittle your "opponents" and make their contributions seem
inconsequential while elevating your own whining to the status of
scripture.
Reply to
John Fields

More whining, no electronics. You must bore even yourself.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Physician, heal thyself!

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm not a doctor, I'm an electrical engineer. What are you, a gossip columnist?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators