super cordless phone

How come cordless phones with a range of 1 to 5 miles are not common? Useful for those short trips around town.

EnGenius makes a product line, but eBay indicates they are several hundred dollars per phone - not likely to kill the cell phone market anytime soon.

?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

** Cos they are not legal under FCC or other countries radio frequency management schemes.
** But are likely to "kill" any electronic device in range.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This is interesting:

" Why would EnGenius use 900Mhz, when this is an older technology compared to the newer 2.4 and 5.8Ghz cordless frequencies?

Contrary to common belief, range is actually better at lower frequencies. Lower frequencies are less absorbed by objects and less affected by walls, buildings, trees, and even open air. Additionally, we use 900MHZ to avoid the sharing of WiFi networks, which would not only cause interference, but also reduce range for our system as well. Thirdly, the FCC allows more power to be used at lower frequencies because lower frequencies are safer for human exposure."

Is the maximum allowable transmission power the FCC allows at 900 MHz still 1 watt?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

** 1watt does not reliably give 5 miles range when the Tx/Rx unit is sitting on a some table inside some premises.

YOU ASS !!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

interesting:

What do you mean contrary to popular belief? The range goes down with freq and always has unless you pump out more power.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

interesting:

It's inverse, as frequency goes up, range goes down.

I wonder why the hell we got away from 900MHz anyhow, though I can't say I mind my DECT phones.

Well, not if the cell-phone user is too dumb to add up the monthly bill. A "free" phone with 2 years of service required is $1000... However, cell phones do have a wider area of use, if you need that.

I have an EnGenius phone system - when new, it saved me at least $2000 in cell-phone bills, as it kept me from "needing" one by actually reaching everywhere I needed it to reach at the time - around 1/2 mile in "real" conditions, up to 3 with clear line of sight. Won't go through a hill at any distance. However, past its 5 year warrantee the phones got flaky (random intermittent self-resets, etc) so I've stopped using them, and I'm not convinced that sending them in for service will prove cost-effective. I'm not overly happy with the lifespan .vs. cost. Oh well.

No impact whatever on surrounding electronics, Phil, you blithering idiot. FCC approved, all nice and aboveboard.

Ecnerwal

Why not have a phone that "tapped" in to any local user and bounced calls from one "local user" to the next finally to the destination? Essentially one large local net?

So for example, if I'm in location X then when I placed a call it would find an available local channel and use that to make another local call but closer to the destination. There might be some technical issues involved and it isn't perfect but it's an extension of the idea with Engenius. (since most people probably do not utilize there phone more than 10% of the time there is a lot of free time available)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

What's the maximum allowable FCC power rating at 900 MHz, anyway? 1 Watt is what I found from a quick web search, but this is not my area of expertise.

mrdarrett

Still searching, haven't found it yet...

mrdarrett

You think phone service should be free? Land lines can cost the same (hardware not included), so in a sense "mobile" is free.

You didn't pay for your land line? You never left the 1/2 mile radius of your home?

If you get it fixed it'll save you another $2000.

Ya' got me there.

--
Keith
Reply to

47CFR15.247

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

If you pay as much for a landline as cell service costs, you're either in a more equitably regulated country than the USA where cell cost is reasonable, or you're loaded up on crap you don't need with the land-line. The sleazebags keep trying to get me into another 2 year commitment with "more minutes", when what I'd like out of them is half the minutes at half the price - but they don't do that. And the pay as you go phones are not - they expire unused minutes at a rate that makes it cost as much as (or more than) a normal cell contract. It's a racket, alright.

No. I paid for my land line, and I still pay for my land-line - though service here in the immediate part of the sticks may finally have improved to the point that it might be possible to end that. However, it still works better for many things - for instance, having two people on the line, calling 911 and having them actually find the right house. And I frequently left the range in which the phone worked - but it worked where I needed to be connected to a phone, and without the lies associated with cell fees (costs X they say - but they charge Y, and then lie about what the difference between X and Y is..."It's a government fee" but they don't give it to the government, they just make up a random number and add it to your bill and then keep it - so it's not a government fee, is it?)

I don't take the cell phone everywhere, either.

There's no new warranty to go with the repair, so it could flake out again in 6 months and I'd just have wasted money. Also, I now have an occasional need to be connected at sites where only a cell phone reaches (albeit poorly, since lousy rural coverage is fine with the FCC, PUC, etc.)

For someone with a usage pattern that fits, and a reasonably priced land-line, an EnGenius system can cost thousands less than cell service over the 5-6 year lifespan (who knows, perhaps the new ones will last a bit longer?) of the phones.

Still lousy compared to the 27 year old Western Electric wired handset that's ticking over just fine here. But no worse lifetime than the Motorola cordless it replaced (hmm, that will work well and be durable - NOT TRUE), which had a difficult time managing 300 feet of range.

Ecnerwal

Verizon, Cingular/ATT and Virgin Mobile have these prepaid plans with rollover minutes. I only use prepaid cell plans... if you refill the minutes regularly, you get to "roll over" your unused minutes. Verizon has an auto refill bot that zaps your VISA card; the others you have to call in manually and not forget.

I got my Verizon years ago when it was 10c/min (25c connection fee, so say 35c for the first minute), with $15 monthly renewal. They still honor that rate. I'm up to 12 hours of unused talk time so far. But now, Verizon has since raised their rates and no longer offer the 10c/ min rate to new customers. AT&T and Virgin have 25c/min rates... my wife used both of those

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Thanks.

(2) For frequency hopping systems operating in the 902-928 MHz band: 1 watt for systems employing at least 50 hopping channels; and,

0.25 watts for systems employing less than 50 hopping channels, but at least 25 hopping channels, as permitted under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section.

One watt, huh... Engenius' cordless phones transmit at 1 watt, maximum? Is there some exemption from 47CFR15.247 that they could have applied for?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

My older copy (1997?) says 1 watt in what appears to be the same section. Look at notes at the bottom of the paragraph and see what the last ammended date is. Chances are your unit was built under an older version of the regs, since changed.

Also, it's more likely a "Direct Sequence System", (that's where they mix pseudo-random noise into the modulation to spread it out over a broad bandwidth and then cancel it out in the receiver).