Stability of older Orcad/PSpice combos?

Agreed -- their choice of editing techniques definitely conflicts with itself at times, and I end up using Ctrl+Z a lot too! (I also miss features like "lasso select" and "unselect a a rectangular or lassed group of parts from within the larger group already selected" that some other programs have.)

That's the fruit of a program that's being maintained by a bunch of people without, as far as I can tell, any one guy (or small core set of developers) who have a clear vision of exactly what it is they're trying to do in the first place...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That strikes me as a bit draconian, but I understand the reasoning.

I prefer programs that can be set to simply highlight not-fully-connected wires in a different color from the rest of them: I typically use black for fully-connected wires and almost-fluorescenct purple for the partially connected ones; they're impossible to miss. (Sometimes I'll be in the middle of drawing a long signal and I do prefer to be able to stop it mid-stream, go off and look in another corner of the schematic or something, and then go back and finish the signal.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

[snip]

Wonder how many schematics did Larkin have to look through to find one that I accidentally did a 4-way? Larkin should cite same or STFU. ...Jim Thompson

It's what happens when you move your "development" to India. ...Jim Thompson

But, at least now you can use undo multiple times! That was the feature that lost us the PSpice development team... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

bundle

...and

When I draw a rectangle I expect only the stuff inside such rectangle to be moved. However, Orcad also moves the far-side connection of any wires sticking out of this rectangle, no matter how far those junctions are from the rectangle. CAD isn't supposed to move stuff outside the rectangle. Suppose every time you move a garden hose it would push the hose bib out of the wall, that would be comparable ;-)

But it's water under the bridge, I am running the last simulations (for now).

Can't right now, as explained before. But it's a rental license so the problem will automagically fix itself in the not too distant future :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good point...

Those transitions years where half the time you'd do something and you'd get the pop-up, "BTW, this operation isn't undoable and, in fact, executing it will remove the entire undo history... is that OK?" were kinda annoying!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Prove it, Rat_Bastard. Otherwise, STFU.

Reply to
John KD5YI

Were? In PSpice they are still there but you can click a check box "Don't show this again". To my surprise that little check box actually worked :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Got me! It's not rational but it's a "rule" that's not all that onerous.

You want software dweebs to do hardware design? Horrors! ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't like that restriction at all. There are times when I want a dangling line because something is about to go there. There are other times when I

*really* want a dangling line (to emphasize that a net connected by name).

How do you do that?

Reply to
krw

Leave it to John to come back with a retarded post.

YOU made the remark. I REFUTED it. Proven wrong, you move on, as usual, to petty insult attempts, and abject avoidance of the issue you just got so very wrong, as usual.

What a punk like you needs is a big, fat lip.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

A zero setting usually means NONE.

AND if you are always crashing so much TRY it. What the f*ck could it hurt?

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

There are a few of them, but one is in a chip layout. There is even one on your most recent patent co-filing.

The circuit I posted over a year ago.

The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Just because you posted a link to it doesn't make it yours. How do you prove ownership?

Reply to
John KD5YI

In ORCAD, you don't -- it's a feature that Pulsonix has (it's just the standard "configure your preferred colors" sort of dialogs, but it has separate fields for "connected wires" and "disconnected wires"), which we use for small test boards. (I once advocated using it for the regular production designs as well, but this idea went over about as well as a lead brick. Granted, my social graces are pretty awful at times; the right person might have been able to pull this off... although, um, that probably won't be many of the people who hang out around *here*... maybe someone like Joerg or Phil Hobbs... :-) )

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

[...]

Ah, I see, it's like the tax code then :-)

Well, at least some hobby stuff. When CAD software comes from people who are from the trade it shows. And when it comes from people not from the trade that also shows. Big time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In PSpice Schematics, alt-click a wire highlights all its extents... it stops at a gap. ...Jim Thompson

Or a fast and irrecoverable loop writing the file constantly because that entry wasn't thought about? My confidence level in the quality of this software ain't that high anymore.

Right now I am running sims all day long. This Orcad fuss has cost me enough time as it is so I don't want it to crash again because I moved some settings around. Don't touch a running system :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Here is ONE:

Mime-Versi> >

"Probably"? You don't know? This is another piece of dreamed-up pile of crap by AlwaysWrong.

HERE is TWO: (this is YOU mentioning someone else mentioning it)

Mime-Versi> >

josephkk

hell. I

Linux.

but

Acrobat.

Fewer with

without a

The word "crapture" has become trite, especially when used three times in one sentence.

Please, Jim, tell me you're not developing a feces fetish like your most recent admirer.

HERE is THREE:

Mime-Versi> >

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra