Stability of older Orcad/PSpice combos?

needs to

read the

his at all if

allow a

bug

*can't* go back

They

Looking at this again, i suggest that you have some version of DLL hell. = I do not have any problems with Acrobat on any machine, Windoes or Linux. This is often the root cause of Flash problems as well.

Reply to
josephkk

crashes

rite

That's got nothing to do with whether I use Revo or not. That's got to do with the general quality of the code and this is obviously beyond my influence. Although not quite because my complaints have already triggered some redesign there. Too late for me but a good thing for others later.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

Why is Foxit stable then and Acrobat isn't? And Cadsoft Eagle is rock solid and Orcad isn't? No matter how impatient I am (and with software and GUIs I am not the most patient guy) I have not managed to bring Eagle to crash on me. I can bring Foxit to choke and huff and puff, but not really into a CTRL-ALT-DEL situation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How come virtually no one else has these problems?

You ought to cleanse your whole machine, then reinstall everything.

But you won't :-( ...Jim Thompson

Oh they do. I've heard that from many engineers. Just ask Keith about it ;-)

No, I won't. Because Cadence support checked it out for about an hour. They said that it was remarkably clean in comparison to what they find on average. This remote diagnostics session had become necessary because there is a recurring licensing discrepancy between the registry and the software. Neither they nor I could figure out why but they showed me a (somewhat ugly) way around it. Obviously I can't be the only one if they knew this registry detour off the top of their heads.

Oh, and there's now a fix-it ticket open, triggered by yours truly :-)

BTW, I recall you letting off some choice words about this software in this here group ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's one ;-)

Crapture? Certainly! Why do you use it? I already told you how many times that the native PSpice Schematics is marvelous, plus presents a trivial few key clicks to produce a Crapture copy if the client requires. ...Jim Thompson

Foxit, CutePDF, Irfanview, PADS sch+pcb, CrimsonEditor, Firefox, Thunderbird, PowerBasic, LT Spice, Appcad, TXline, RFsim99, all seem solid.

We wrote our own parts database program. It's in its third iteration now. The same database file has run uncorrupted for about 15 years now. Because it's simple.

John

I know more than one ;-)

Well, right now it hangs on and I only need it for this one job. One trick I learned is not to do things too fast. Such as copying or moving large parts of a schematic. Put square around, shift-click ... one Mississippi ... two Mississippi ... wait until black cat has crossed street ... copy. Else, bad things can happen.

It's simulating right now. Kinda slow but humming. Compared to Eagle and LTSpice it feels like I stepped from a Porsche into gramp's 70's Cadillac. Ok, it's BIG :-)

If I need to do more of these jobs I'll probably get PSpice Schematics.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Even the open source stuff such as gEDA (I ran that under Linux though, on this same PC) and Kicad never crashed on me. I gave both a pretty good run but decided they aren't for me, for other reasons. I guess from a complexity POV Mathcad compares well to CAD software in terms of complexity. My only gripe with it is its cost, stability is no problem.

Yep. Simplicity is why I use MS-Works for databases. But anything after version 6.0 seems buggy to me, probably they added too much fluff into it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

There are free copies in circulation. Take it for a spin. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Have to look for one later. Right now I must run one sim after the other to make up for the time these crashes have cost.

But I must say that I like LTSpice a lot better than PSpice. The only downside is that some IC models appear to be vendor-locked (only PSpice models and not ASCII) and that there is no integration between LTSpice and my CAD. This can easily cause a transcription error in the schematic. Then again, the sheer speed of LTSpice makes up for all that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

LTspice _is_ fast! But ugly schematics and ugly for presentation-grade simulation results. (Customers like easy to understand graphics.)

So I draw in PSpice Schematics, run fast trials in LTspice (simply by importing .cir and .net files), then run in PSpice Probe for my presentation PDF's and slides. ...Jim Thompson

hell. I

Linux.

I should think that's obvious. Neither Foxit nor Eagle have DLLs with conflicts. In fact, this points to conflicts between Orcad and Acrobat.

Reply to
josephkk

IIRC, Joerg had Acrobat problems before OrCAD. ...Jim Thompson

No Acrobat, here, and I can get OrCAD crashes quite consistently. Fewer with

16.3 than 15.7 but it'll still crash. When it does, it's more often without a save, now.
Reply to
krw

Does it have periodic autosave? PADS does.

John

It causes crashes.

Reply to
krw

Then he wouldn't have ANYTHING to bitch about.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Oh.

John

with

without a

Yep. Found that out the hard way. Now that I have set auto-backup to 300 minutes (essentially meaning never because by then I am on the next schematic) the number of crashes is lower. I also learned to smell wooziness and do a quick shut-down. For example when placed probes refuse to turn from gray to some bonbon color.