GNOME on embedded devices

Dear friends, Does any embedded single board computers (approx 300Mhz) running GNOME? I think GNOME is very huge to run on 32bit microprocessors and may have also disk space constraints.

Does GNOME ported to any embedded platforms?

If ported, what can be the best minimal installation possible? (like core modules required for GNOME).

I request you to share some ideas and pointers on the above subject.

Regards, Suresh Chandra Mannava.

Reply to
suresh chandra mannava

If you are looking for a free and sophisticated GUI for embedded devices, I suggest you take a look at Opie:

Maybe this helps.

Oliver

Oliver Fels
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Oliver Fels

I'm running mozilla 1.0.1 with a redhat 8.0 distribution. When I go to opie.handhelds.org the mozilla aplications crashes. Not in the windows style of crash, just a nice orderly linex style terminate the app type of thing. I'll admit I have not spent any time searching for the core file and figuring it out or I could just upgrade and forget it. I was just wondering if anyone else may have seen this or if there might be something the site owner could or would want to do to make his site "more friendly":-)

I would be interested in knowing the problem since when I get my site up I want it to be friendly to as many free(as in free speech) and open(I'm being redundent) applications as possible.

Al

Reply to
Alpinekid

With mozilla 1.5 no problem => update your browser.

-- __ / ` Eric Valette /-- __ o _. 6 rue Paul Le Flem (___, / (_(_(__ 35740 Pace

Tel: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 Fax: +33 (0)2 99 85 26 76 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@free.fr

Reply to
Valette Eric

Thanks, I did that. I was just interested in finding out what I could avoid on my web page so it would work on more browsers.

Al

Reply to
Alpinekid

If GBOME is too huge to run on 32bit processors, we've got some serious problems.

Yes. Now define what your definition of "embedded platform" is, and ask if GNOME runs on it?

Are you speaking about the entire GNOME desktop or just the GTK libraries? I've got GTK 2.0 onto a 32MB CF with no problems, using twm as the window manager.

What _exactly_ are you trying to do?

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Il Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:22:51 +0000, Alex Pavloff ha scritto:

What about your processor frequency clock ?

Reply to
Brujo