Stability of older Orcad/PSpice combos?

Why did you amplify the 2 volt reference up to 5 volts?

The oscillator is interesting. How does that work?

John

PADS uses explicit offpage connectors for that.

John

You are a bona fide total retard.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

But I don't want it off-page. Some signals need to be local in scope.

Reply to
krw

bundle

...and

Have you tried lifting the tax code? ;-)

Sure. You're hierarchy discussion is a good example. Though JL doesn't believe in hierarchical design either and he's no software dweeb. ;-)

Reply to
krw

[...]

bundle

...and

No, but others have. Obviously people manage to lift stuff and nobody notices or it's even legit. There was this guy in our morning paper who said he made "only" $200k last year and somehow managed to (legally) pay a grand total of $2k in taxes. That's sick.

Nothing is perfect. Eagle still doesn't have a hierarchy so it's not useful for larger projects until V6, where it's supposed to come. But in all other respects it is nearly as close to perfect as Orcad-SDT was.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, and when Microsim and Orcad merged, the thing that most horrified the Microsim guys was teh condition of the Orcad code. Some of it was good, but for years, when they bought a new company, or added a new feature, it was shoehorned in, almost like a kludge, on top of the existing code, so now you were kludging the kludges! Microsim had faitly tight code (although, there were a few parts of the simulator that had 'known difficultites!' that were of the 'don't touch' variety.

After the merger, the PSpice Schematics folks got added to the Capture folks. They started looking through the code, and saw some places where they could make improvements, such as multiple undo. They were told 'NO!' because the PTB were afraid it would break things. Then, Cadence came in, and laid the entire Capture team in Oregon off, and sent Capture development to India. However, the Capture guys in Irvine form the Microsim team were still there, and they now had no one to tell them no!

Within three month, a dozen features that had been demanded for years were added to the code, as well as some known 'unfixable' bugs were fixed. Management was delighted! When the version went to beta, they announced the layoffs of the entire Irvine development team. After all, since moving Capture to India had been so productive, why not move PSpice too!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Did they give a reason? Seems like it wouldn't be something that would require "permission".

I could pull it off in our company (if we didn't use Crapture, of course). ;-)

Reply to
krw

Wait! Joerg's in the world's strongest man contest??

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

bundle

...and

I don't know if it's the same person, but did you catch the analysis of his return? Basically, it was a crock.

I was referring to their attitude that "hierarchy wasn't needed".

Reply to
krw

bundle

...and

Are you sure? Got a link? I doubt he would have given his name to a journalist if it was all cooked up because the IRS reads newspapers, too. I think it was Eric Schoenberg or something like that.

Yes, that was weird. They seem to come from the hobby corner but the guys there sure know electronics. Cadsoft has NNTP support groups (a _very_ smart choice of theirs). Occasionally someone gets stuck on a design issue that's not CAD related and the guys comment on the actual circuitry.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

bundle

...and

I'll look. I read an article on one such case recently. He was a college professor (accounting, or some such) who did this as a hook to get attention. It wasn't something a "normal" person would do (give everything away just so you don't pay taxes isn't a "normal" tax strategy). The bottom line was that after his "strategy" he had an earned income of $32K, down from over $200K. He did pay a ton of taxes, BTW, just not federal income tax.

Xilinx has quite a presence on comp.arch.fpga. It's smart but there is a reason large companies don't like to do it.

Reply to
krw

[...]

Large companies are often not very smart when it comes to customer relations. Cadsoft runs their own NNTP server, it's not Usenet. You set up an account on your newsreader, no password or any of that needed, done. Their Canadian dealer set up a web based forum that runs in parallel, and actually works nicely. Then Cadsoft was bought by Farnell and they set up some fluffy-fancy-feelgood "web portal". As was to be expected that ended up being on the more horrid side. But luckily they left the staff and management intact, so the quality of the software hasn't gone downhill like in so many other acquisition cases.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

bundle

...and

Just put about 8 million dollars into tax-free bonds. Simple!

John

segment

bundle

...and

AFAIR a large chunk of his AGI was work-related income.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

bundle

...and

Here it is (I needed the name):

Tax avoidance isn't illegal. Why would he hide his name if his point was to make news?

Reply to
krw

segment

bundle

...and

Thanks. $45k in brokerage fees alone? He must be wealthy dude. $46k charitable is a good thing though, very commendable. But yeah, that does shrink the AGI a lot. You are right, looks like he didn't find the magic legal tricks.

Well, he didn't hide his name.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--- Not only is it not illegal, its a moral imperative for all of us to find ways to keep the federal government from taxing us into a hand-to-mouth existence.

Oops...

Too late.

Maybe it's time to feed the tree of liberty.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

segment

OTOH, bundle

...and

onerous.

Quite. Inheretence and Wall St. money, IIRC. The super-rich don't mind

*income* taxes at all. They've made theirs and don't want competition.

...and made the "news".

Reply to
krw

Voting the bums out is a good start.