Special AND-gate

Very simply, it would no longer be an AND gate.

Reply to
Greg Neill

"Greg Neill" wrote in news:47fa3eb0$0$24843 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

So there is no possibility by applying some special encoding such as presenting every bit by two bits etc.? Note that the functionality of the AND has still to be kept.

Cheers, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd Schneider

--
Yes, there is no way.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Even if you allow encoding of either inputs or output, how can you get around the fact that for two bits A AND B is only True 1/4 of the time for random A and B?

Reply to
Greg Neill

"Fred Bloggs" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com...

It is. Odd parity.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"Bernd Schneider" schreef in bericht news:Xns9A798AC1C85ACberndschneider90yaho@194.177.96.78...

It can't. An AND-gate behaves according to its function s=a*b. If not, it is not an AND-gate anymore. The probabilty of its output depends on the probabilty of its inputs. If the inputs are unrelated and have a probality of 50% true (and so 50% false) THEN the probability of the output is 25% true (and 75% false). You cannot change this by changing the AND-gate as - I repeat - if you do so it is not an AND-gate anymore. So if you want both an AND-gate AND a probability of 50/50 on the output the only thing you can do is changing the probability of the inputs. If you have no information of the inputs other then that they are random AND you want an AND-gate AND a 50/50 output THEN you're lost. I'm sorry to say but if you don't understand it by now, you better can go and do anything but electronics design.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

In this case, the solution is obvious, but I won't give it away. You need to show your own work on this one.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Late at night, by candle light, Bernd Schneider penned this immortal opus:

Noise generator, zero crossing detector, buffer as fit.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Oh, I like it. Took me a while, but I like it. And it's even a common technique...

But I don't think the problem is very well stated. Why is it desired that the probability of the outputs be 50/50? The real reason may be the clue to the "solution"

Reply to
cs_posting