ISE and total equivalent gate count

Hi,

ISE's map report states a "Total equivalent gate count for design". Can this equivalent gate count be used to compare roughly and very approximate to an equivalent ASIC implementation?

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon Heinzle

Simon,

That is the intent of this number. Of course, some say this number is inflated (to discourage ASIC conversion), and others say it is "realistic."

I have no opinion on the matter. Making ASICs is hard enough without any other factors, though.

Perhaps someone from our software team will reply. I am in San Diego at DAC all week.

Austin

Reply to
austin

I think it would be more useful if it was broken down a bit more; at least into memory gate count, other block (PPC,DSP) gate count and good old fashioned CLB fabric gate count.

Just an opinion.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Brian,

I got an email from my software 'cousins' in Longmont: the "gate count" number is supplied by the hardware folks.

?

"We have met the enemy, and it is us!" (from the old Pogo cartoon)

So, we only have ourselves to blame it seems.

I will try to find out who supplies the 'gate count' and discuss what it means.

Austin

Reply to
austin