Re: BBC Puzzle

Why does the BBC report that the US jobless rate at 5.1% represents

> "serious recession", while reporting the UK rate _increasing_ to 5.5% > means the good times are here ?:-) >

It does seem to be getting more difficult to find quality news. The method of counting UK jobless figures has been massaged so often by politicians that it is just about meaningless. Although our "official" jobless figures look quite good, there are huge numbers on long term disability benefit. One wonders if the commonest disability is that of getting out of bed!

--
Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita