AND Gate vs NAND Gate Propagation Time

Usually the NAND. Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

IIRC it's typically the NAND.

Ecnerwal

What generally has less propagation time. ? A 2 input AND or a 2 input NAND gate for a given series?

I might have to dig up the datasheets for this... If anybody knows offhand, let me know..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

That used to be easy to answer. Gates were made of inverting elements (common emitter/drain transistor), and were unbuffered, so the inverting functions were faster (7400 vs. 7408, CD4011 vs. CD4081). However, it soon became common to buffer the inputs and/or outputs, sometimes even with 2 stages. There's no longer any general answer. A 74LVC08 is faster than a 74LVC00.

Anybody who tells you that he knows offhand, should not be trusted :)

Reply to
David DiGiacomo

LOL and almost a coffee spew..

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yep. Pre- and Post-Buffering are now commonly used to "standardize" propagation times.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Wow...I didn't know about the internal buffering spoiling the trend for NAND to have a shorter tp. I was rooting for NAND to be faster due to fewer transistors due to the already intrinsic inverting circuits to make the NAND topology.

Things change... I suppose it's always best to not skip out on checking the datasheets.

Thanks for responses everybody. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

FWIW, that's pretty much what I was going to say. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise